Build me an engine! (on paper) :p - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2004, 11:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Build me an engine! (on paper) :p

I have been reading my brains out and i am looking for a final word. I understand there will always be more than one way or brand or type for an engine component, but I would like to see what some of the further educated would use.

Okay, so the problem is a 350 camaro - solution...huff it! I plan on ditching the heads which are vortecs, obviously wont work with a roots type blower (if I gonna put 2-3k in a blower, its definetely not going to say Paxton on it). I would like to stick with iron because its oh so much cheaper than aluminum, and i am scrooge in training. I think I have decided on going with a 6-71, too much money to throw down and just get a weiand pro-street unit, atleast half of the pricetag is going to be for the look ya know?

So build me an engine around a 671 blower and 96 350 block (K engine as I believe it is called, came out of a truck, not sure if this makes a difference yet) I can't seem to hammer these things out, there is so much variation in opinion and I am partial to building things inexpensively (read for less money NOT cheaper which=POS engine falling apart after 5k miles)

Forged rotating assembly?
Static and Dynamic compression ratio I will want to run? (I hear the iron heads dont take the high numbers an aluminum set will, a bit confused on what my max cap would be with iron heads)
Carb size? ( I would like to stick with one carb for expense and my lack of superior knowledge in this department)
Intake runner size?
Combustion chamber size? ( From what i gather, 76cc is what I want)
Valve train types?
Cam specs?

This is a lot of think about I know, so please dont flame, just share what knowledge you have the time and patience to offer. Please! :p

I would like to keep this streetable, not looking for 600hp, 500 at flywheel would be nice, but i dont want to get into new windsheilds, rear ends, and transmissions. Let the confusion begin!

thats what I forgot, was rushing to get this posted before I went to the post office! <-dumbarse

i am estimating 5k including the blower which should be 2k of that cost. Of course, I would love to do it for less but that is about the most I am up for spending on parts initially.

Advertisement

Last edited by mgray10; 02-29-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2004, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

Write down a $$$$.$$ figure that you have to spend.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:20 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Re: Build me an engine! (on paper) :p

i am estimating 5k including the blower which should be 2k of that cost. Of course, I would love to do it for less but that is about the most I am up for spending on parts initially. [/B][/QUOTE]

The Knowledge Base has this info since it has been asked more than once.
Then not upgrading the chassis for it.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:35 PM

I currently have SFCs, sway bars, and a wonder bar. I am not looking to spend anymore on suspension and chassis upgrades. I would certainly think that keeping my hp limited and under 500 would coincide with this, no? This is thirdgen camaro, if it makes a difference.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:33 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Hello.
I to am in this delima, but mines easier as I am using an earlier type block.
Id say rebuild the engine using dished, forged pistons and a blower cam. You should be able to convert to older heads. On the blower issue. You will have to run 2 carbs unless you use the Holley 250 powercharger. With it you can use a single carb. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 02-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

my worry is about your block. A stock block is most certainly not going to hold up for long, so you don't want to waste your money. You're going to need a 4 bolt block, find out if you can find a stronger block or an aftermarket. You'll need a steel crank, I beam rods (eagles are good) forged pistons and you'll need to hog out the oiling in whatever block you get.

After that's all goign you'll need a better trans (a powerglide or beefed up 400 will do) and a ford 9" for the rear (plan on spending 2k on the rear itself) You'll need to find a way to get some serious meats on the back and quite a few chassis mods.

My estimate to do it right is probably more along the lines of 10k from start to finish.

K

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.