building a 1923 t- bucket - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 10:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

building a 1923 t- bucket

I'm building my first kit car.( a 1923 t- bucket). I need to know where i can purchase blueprints . i would like to drop a chevy 540 c.i. (blown chevy b.b.) but, i need to know if a 1 1/2" by 3" frame 1/4 " thick will be o.k. ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 11:42 PM

Last journal entry: Another alternator bracket change
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

1 1/2" would be way too thin for what you are intending. I'm building a T Bucket and have talked to a few guys who USED to run huge motors with a crap load of horse power. They either switched to something a little more practical or rarely drive it. I rode in one that was said to have about 300 HP and it was VERY quick. T Buckets only weigh about 2,000 LBS., you're not trying to move a lot of weight. Do your research and ask around before you spend all that money and time. Google the National T Bucket Alliance and see what some of those guys are running. There are some great guys there and they don't mind helping out a beginner.

As for a manual with plans, Total Performance has one and it is pretty good. Blueprints and everything. I hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:50 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeverfred
1 1/2" would be way too thin for what you are intending.
Well, he DID say 1/4" wall tubing...which would be pretty stout. I would think a better and possibly lighter alternative for that much power would be 2x4x1/8" tubing with some healthy K members.

tfever is dead on about the overkill. But if you've got the bucks and the hankerin', blown motors will always impress the spectators. But with the price of fuel these days, they are becoming less and less practical if you intend to drive that bucket on a regular basis.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

I have a blown SBC in a bucket it gets 5.5 miles to a gallon. The frame on it is 2x3x 1/4".....Like they said jump over to the

http://www.nationaltbucketalliance.com/bb2005/index.asp

We love to build T Buckets and nothing else. A great bunch of guys with a lot of good info.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

building a '23 T bucket

In the early '70's, a friend in Memphis built a really nice T with a blown 331 hemi in it. Beautiful car, state of the art back then. All the bells and whistles. A real hit at the shows with trophies and all. I talked to him 2 years after he finished the car and he said he sold it because it was so overpowered he didn't enjoy driving it. In that time, he had only put a couple hundred miles on and that was just on and off the trailer. But hey, it's your car. Build what you want! Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

Youngster

BTW... he used 2X3 .188 wall tubing
Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM

Last journal entry: ROCKET 32 BUILD

Hi i'm in the U.K. and have a 23T i built 7 years ago, I run a 1.5" x 3" x 1/8" frame and have a 330bhp SBF 289, It runs regular 12.6 quarters and the frame has been no problem at all, You may be complicating your build with a big block and i can only see you ending up with a T that will be unpleasent to drive, hope this helps.

here's mine

Cheers
Steve.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

building a '23 T bucket

Steve ....that's a real sweet T, great stance and nice overall balance.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by langy
Hi i'm in the U.K. and have a 23T i built 7 years ago, I run a 1.5" x 3" x 1/8" frame and have a 330bhp SBF 289, It runs regular 12.6 quarters and the frame has been no problem at all, You may be complicating your build with a big block and i can only see you ending up with a T that will be unpleasent to drive, hope this helps.

here's mine

Cheers
Steve.

Good golly - Langy/Steve finally made it out of the NSRA UK forum and to this forum. Welcome to this side of the rod world - you'll enjoy being here.

I do like your 'bucket as I too have had the pleasure of a Ford powered version as well - tho a warm 351W powered it nicely.

But back to the original question - big power, big block buckets are fun to cruise the fairgrounds or at rod run. They are pure he!! for gas mileage with small tanks in a small area and squirrely open road driving isn't a lot of fun either. I usually see them coming out of a trailer, parked for the day then the process is reversed.

The size of the frame material really doesn't make much difference if correctly designed and built to handle the power. A simple perimeter frame needs to be strong enough to be able to take the torque of hard launches. You don't have much in the way of cross members and reinforcing - front, trans and rear with the engine itself acting as another.

Dave
Old 10-25-2007, 03:39 PM

Dave i'm on a few forums, You can never have too much knowledge.

Cheers for the welcome.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Dave i'm on a few forums, You can never have too much knowledge.

Cheers for the welcome.
And obviously I sneak over to your side of the pond to see what you folks are doing both physically and web wise. I've made many trips there and have only just seen but one rod - in Scotland though - I'm curious. What do you do, build 'em then never drive 'em with the outrageous price of gas??

Dave
Old 10-26-2007, 02:30 AM

Your right about the Gas prices Dave its a problem for Hotrodders here but we still try to use them as much as possible, Obviously my T isn't the best car for our climate but i do use it a lot, When i'm not in my T i drive this as a daily. Its just got a warm 302 and is setup nicely so i get about 20mpg round town and 25 on a run.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Your right about the Gas prices Dave its a problem for Hotrodders here but we still try to use them as much as possible, Obviously my T isn't the best car for our climate but i do use it a lot, When i'm not in my T i drive this as a daily. Its just got a warm 302 and is setup nicely so i get about 20mpg round town and 25 on a run.
Ah - fantastic - my favorite older vintage Ford pickup. Unfortunately, in my area we have even worse weather then most of the UK with temperature variations from well below zero F to well into the 90s and more with snow, and the roads being cleared with rock salt then just for "fun", we have 40+ inches of rain per year. This sent most of the '53-'56 pickups to the scrapyard with totally rotted bodies as well as chassis.

I guess my Ford pick up daily driver at 10/11 mpg town driving would not fare well with $8+US/gallon gas!! Seems there is a lousy exchange rate for me, tho good, finally, for you.

(You are using Image Cave to upload photos I see. Most of mine are in Shutterfly which I can't, or to date, I haven't been able to use here. Is there a special technique or is it just drag and drop?)

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rig.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	25088  
Old 10-26-2007, 01:38 PM

Dave fuel is now £1 a litre works out at $10 per gallon !!! I spent a lot of time on my 302 in the F100 to get good mpg, I get 20 around town and 25 on a run.

If you use Imagecave you can just cut the EZ code they give you alongside the pic and paste it straight into the reply.

Cheers
Steve.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Dave fuel is now £1 a litre works out at $10 per gallon !!! I spent a lot of time on my 302 in the F100 to get good mpg, I get 20 around town and 25 on a run.

If you use Imagecave you can just cut the EZ code they give you alongside the pic and paste it straight into the reply.

Cheers
Steve.
Thanks for the Imagecave info. I guess I'll have to open an account there as well as Shutterfly.

I really amazes me how expensive gasoline and diesel is in the UK, . It was 1.04/litre in the Orkneys last month -

A 302/5.0 is capable of decent gas mileage as long as you don't get too crazy with carb and camshafts or diff gears. I'm hoping that my 'A' roadster will get somewhere in the 20+ range. It is a new crate motor with the "E" cam, a 600 Edelbrock, C4, 3.25 gears and tall tires.

Now, off to get ready to finish painting it tomorrow.

Later
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BEngine1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	25097  
Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 PM

hi jay how did you do on your t bucket i also like to put one together a ford 460 on my bucket

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.