building a 1935 5 window coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 03:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

building a 1935 5 window coupe

Hello,
I'm kinda new on this board although i've talked on it before. I'm building a 1935 5 window ford coupe that i purchased almost a year ago in Montana. My knowledge on cars is rather very limited and i tend to ask a lot of questions to my father and family's which know much more then me. My knowledge is with metal fabrication and the likes.

I plan this upcoming week to remove the body from the chassis(i know i must strengthen the body so it doesn't twist and warp from the lifting.) I've pre made a wooden ''buggy'' to roll the body around. I would like to line up the body on the chassis before removing it making sure it fits correctly.

Does the body frame sit on the exterior side of the chassis or on top (i've included pictures) i've heard around that the body originally sat on top of the frame rail though some people tend to place it on the sides(lowering the top of the car somewhat) Is this true?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Secondary question,
I will be stripping the frame of the car which is quite nice to box the frame in and adding new suspension and new motor mount(i will be installing a 350 small block Chevy in it.) Is there people who are looking for such original pieces or i'm better off tossing it out(my storage space is quite limited) and if people do look for such pieces, how much is it worth (general price range since the pieces have wear and tear on it though quite nice.. basically for the general suspension, all front steering mechanism and rear drive shaft thingie.. basically everything but the frame itself.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

last question,
I have four rims which i was told are from a Model A car. can anyone confirm this and let me know how much they are worth if anything?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frameVsbody.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	12914   Click image for larger version

Name:	modela.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	12915  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

Definitions of "chopping," "channeling," and "sectioning":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopped_and_channeled
Old 06-26-2006, 08:04 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Gunnulf,

Nice to see you again! Your '35 sits kind of on top of the Frame and kind of outside of it (it has four Body Supports that hold the Body on the outside of the Frame)-I could be wrong, but I believe Ford did this so they could use one Frame on both the cars and pickups. As far as channeling goes, it would be somewhat of a chore, as the front of your Body (cowl) sits on the Frame, as well as the rear part (about 18" behind the Doors back). I know it's been done, but you are cutting out a major portion of the body rails (it's not like a '29 on '32 rails where the Body sits on the Frame). You could pinch the Frame, but it would be a chore (IMHO).

On my build, I have used a Heidt's Superide II and rear four link to get the car on the ground, and it looks like I will have to shorten the Grille (I want it LOW)-maybe you could consider using the suspension to lower the car and chop the Top? Of course I believe the ride will be a more harsh this way-

With regard to the used parts, I am constantly amazed at the pieces and parts that sell on Ebay-I saw a pair of cut out rear inner Fenders go for over $150.00 in the past few weeks, so most serviceable parts should be worth something-
Old 06-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The body sits on top of the frame. You'll want to weld the nuts for the body mounts to the frame if you box it. I used Street Rod Engineering suspension parts, cross member, etc for mine, good heavy duty parts at a good price. (check out my journal and album)
As far as extra parts go, you'll end up with mostly suspension parts, someone may want them, a lot of hassle to ship though.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

my 35 ford

Hello again,
Thank you for the information. Although i did not ask my question correctly and should of ask.. if originally did the body fit on top our around?.. i got the answer and i thank you . I will choose to lower my car like 35WINDOW mentioned since that is the way seems the best for me.

Thanks for the info(about welding the nut in the frame when boxing) that will same me a doozer loool. I will look soon in boxing the frame and now looking on the ''K'' and ''X'' cross-members. I love working the metal and i will check in the thickness for the boxing.. i'm guessing thats around 12 or 10 gage mild steel? i'm used to work with 14-16-18 gage so won't be too much trouble.

BTW: Quick question. The V8 Emblem in the center dash, when you flip it.. is that an ashtray or something else???

thanks.

I'll try and locate some rear fenders so i can copy em and make myself a new set out of 18gage steel.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

With regards to the center of your Dash, I believe there was a Radio option, a Clock, an Ashtray or nothing at all (maybe more-anybody?)-on the rear Fenders, I have been doing some fact finding there, and as far as I can tell, Wescott's makes some good ones(and maybe the only ones that are direct fit)-I contacted Fairlane Comapny this week inquiring about their Products and their prices are quite reasonable (almost half of Wescott's), however they don't make rear Fenders for '35-'36 coupes ('35's and '36's are not the same-Fairlane makes them to only fit Sedans and Phaetons). Making a set of steel rear Fenders would be a challenge (but can be done with a lot of practice and patience).
Old 06-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

JB Donaldson make 35-36 Ford fiberglass bodies and parts. I don't know if they fit stockers though. Worth an email.

http://jbdonaldsonusa.com/
Old 06-28-2006, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

I really wanted to get the J.B. donaldson's, but they only make the '35's with '37 lights in them-sounds like great quality though-when I contacted them to see if they would make standard '35's, they were kind of rude-
Old 06-28-2006, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for such a fast reply,
I've found this website by accident last night http://www.dickspadaro.com, they have some rear 35 coupe fenders, they might be worth the buying but I'd like it very much in making my own too hehe.

For what is the V8.. mine looks like it's an ashtray heheh.

this board is VERY GOOD i think building my car will be much easier than i first though, thanks to you all

David.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.