Building a 283 into a 302 or 327 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building a 283 into a 302 or 327

Hi all. I'm new here and have been away from SBC's a long time! I have a 64 283 that I would like to build into either a 302 or a 327. From what I've read, to make a 302 I just need to bore it out; for a 327 I need to bore and get 327 rods. Is that correct? Any help greatly appreciated.

Mike

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2006, 08:09 PM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,441
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomike
Hi all. I'm new here and have been away from SBC's a long time! I have a 64 283 that I would like to build into either a 302 or a 327. From what I've read, to make a 302 I just need to bore it out; for a 327 I need to bore and get 327 rods. Is that correct? Any help greatly appreciated.

Mike
The 283 rods will work and your crank all you need is the correct pistons and the crank would need to be rebalanced as the pistons are heavier then the stock 283 pistons.

The block may work but the only way to tell is to have it sonic tested to see how thick the cylinders are.

There are better after market rods out there then the old 283 rods.

I have a brand new small journal crank 3 inch stroke and a brankd new set of 302 standard bore 11:01 pistons and rings and a set of 327 rods if your interested PM me,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2006, 04:44 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: texas
Age: 69
Posts: 527
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To make a 327 out of a 283 block requires boring the block to 4" and using a 327 CRANKSHAFT, not rods.
As far as I know, the rods are the same.
You can accomplish the same thing by using a 350 block and a large journal 327 crank or a 307 crank. If you choose a 4 bolt 350 block you'll end up with a 4 bolt 327.
JA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2006, 05:36 AM
302 Z28's Avatar  
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Texas
Posts: 10,840
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 86 Times in 73 Posts
First off, not all 283 blocks can take a 4" bore. The block needs to be sonic checked to see if it can go that far. A 327 requires a 3.25" stroke crank as opposed to the 283 and 302's 3" stroke crank. If you are after a 302 you would be much better off using a 350 block.

There is not that much of a performance differance in boring the 283 .060" as opposed to .125". The .060" bore with the 283 crank will produce a 292 and will allow enough cylinder wall material to remain.

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2006, 07:03 AM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,441
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
First off, not all 283 blocks can take a 4" bore. The block needs to be sonic checked to see if it can go that far. A 327 requires a 3.25" stroke crank as opposed to the 283 and 302's 3" stroke crank. If you are after a 302 you would be much better off using a 350 block.

There is not that much of a performance differance in boring the 283 .060" as opposed to .125". The .060" bore with the 283 crank will produce a 292 and will allow enough cylinder wall material to remain.

Vince
To put a small journal crank in a 350 block would require special main bearings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building a 283 into a 302 or 327

Thank you all for the input. I guess I should have stated this is a 65 Nova and I want to use an original block for appearances. In case you weren't aware, the oil filter is cut higher into the block, and there is a threaded hole in the side of the block where the clutch ball for the z rod goes. So a 350 is out. It really doesn't matter to me what size I end up with. I can bore it .060 and use what I have with new pistons. I'm not going to thrash it; I'm really just after the original look. So, bore it .060 over and stay with all the stock internal lower end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2006, 10:30 AM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,441
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomike
Thank you all for the input. I guess I should have stated this is a 65 Nova and I want to use an original block for appearances. In case you weren't aware, the oil filter is cut higher into the block, and there is a threaded hole in the side of the block where the clutch ball for the z rod goes. So a 350 is out. It really doesn't matter to me what size I end up with. I can bore it .060 and use what I have with new pistons. I'm not going to thrash it; I'm really just after the original look. So, bore it .060 over and stay with all the stock internal lower end?
Just make sure you have the cylinder sonic tested befor you do anything so later on you won't end up with a pile of junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2006, 03:25 PM
302 Z28's Avatar  
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Texas
Posts: 10,840
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 86 Times in 73 Posts
292's can be made to run as good as a 301 if you choose the right parts. I had a 56 210 sedan in high school that the 292 was built by a friends dad who was a dirt track racer. I never knew exactly what he did to that engine because it never gave me cause to go into it the whole time I owned it. I would routinely take it to 7K and power shift with no ill effect, except for straightened out alternator blades and a thrown belt.

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet 327 TEEMCDEE9552 Engine 15 06-09-2007 08:22 PM
302, 327 or 350? 53_belair Engine 10 07-14-2006 08:57 AM
Why is the Ford 302 block better than the 351W? BarbWire Engine 63 06-01-2006 05:35 PM
283 vs 327 mweber Engine 7 12-28-2003 10:09 PM
302 piston dim. compared to 327 piston Dave Y. Engine 2 09-25-2002 08:55 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.