Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - building a 292 chevy for street/strip
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 11:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadshogshop
That would be cool, but he is on a budget. Has little ones at home, they come first. He does want a hot rod, so I'll be helping him with it. Just thought maybe someone knew of the litle things that need be done on them so they will last. I tthink naturaly asperated will work just fine. Maybe 3x2, roller cam, and rockers and a good set of tuned headers, lite weight pistons and balanced, clean the head up w/bigger valves and powerglide tranny, 3;50 gears. I think I can do the engine under $2k.I am hopping somewhere around 350 to 400 HP. I was wondering if there are any oil problems with this engine? Dad
Well, if he's on a budget he needs to forget about a 292 and look at a 250 instead. There are no cheap forged pistons for the 292, and there is nothing that will interchange at all in those engines from any other engine. At the HP he is looking to get, he will need them. Also, roller cams start at $600 and go up from there, same for a 250 also, and both require special roller lifters common only to the inline engines, also pricey. But, don't get me wrong, the 292 can be made into a strong contender. A group of us a while back on the Inliners forum did a lot of extensive dyno tests with both the 292 and 250 engines(over 200 dyno pulls combined) and found 350 HP is fairly easy to obtain with either engine, but not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. The 250 on the other hand can use forged pistons from a 307 engine, and several companies offer H-beam rods in both the stock length(5.700") and 6" as well. The "key" to the performance in these engines and the main expense is going to be in the cylinder head with removing the bolt bosses in the intake runners and installing the bolt-in "lumps", and putting in larger valves and porting. There are currently 3 brands of bolt-in "lumps" that were tested in these sessions, 2 of which are manufactured by Tom Lowe, and one of his consistently made the most HP in all of the testing done in both engines.