building a 292 chevy for street/strip - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
snydski's Avatar
snydski
 

Last journal entry: 72 ' 3970010
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: south shore MA
Age: 45
Posts: 21
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice six

I was wondering if you made that head and rocker cover? Good luck!

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snydski
I was wondering if you made that head and rocker cover? Good luck!


Head and rocker cover??? How much did you take off the head?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
snydski's Avatar
snydski
 

Last journal entry: 72 ' 3970010
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: south shore MA
Age: 45
Posts: 21
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
head angle

It looks like a weld mark in the middle of the head and the angle at witch it sits looks a little different than the original head design was this custom od do they have a manufacture producing them . either way it cool!! I had a six in my nova in high school used to burn the tires till they popped .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ringgold, Ga.
Posts: 454
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
I think your referring to the homemade head in the pics above. They were created by welding 2 SBC heads together after the end cylinders were cut off of each head. Same for the valve cover, its homemade also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ringgold, Ga.
Posts: 454
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Your welcome Dad, keep us posted on your progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oooldman
I remembered 35+ years ago a couple guys took small block chevy heads and cut the end cylinders off re-weled them and dropped it on a 292.. BIG improvement everyone thought i was nuts then i found a picture of newer version made with aluminum heads split + re-welded... WICKED!!


So that is for sure aluminum heads! "Everything" lined up ok then? What about the chevy 3.8 or 4.3 V6 heads, would they work? I'm sure you would have to mill some off the ends if they would. Guess you would still end up in the water jackets? Dad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ringgold, Ga.
Posts: 454
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Dad, this was a common modification to do back before the porting techniques for the factory siamese heads became better. Its not uncommon today to achieve almost 350 CFM out of the factory production siamese 6 cylinder head with "lump" porting, so there is no need to go to all the trouble to make a "Frankenstein" head that will flow less. Also, if you just have to do it, the LS heads are a much better head to use than the traditional SBC head for this modification, even though both the LS engine and early SBC engines share the same bore spacing as the 6 cylinder engine. There is also an aluminum head made specific for the 6 cylinder engines by Sissell Automotive and another by Joe Deppe, but require deep pockets unfortunately!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC-Dude
Dad, this was a common modification to do back before the porting techniques for the factory siamese heads became better. Its not uncommon today to achieve almost 350 CFM out of the factory production siamese 6 cylinder head with "lump" porting, so there is no need to go to all the trouble to make a "Frankenstein" head that will flow less. Also, if you just have to do it, the LS heads are a much better head to use than the traditional SBC head for this modification, even though both the LS engine and early SBC engines share the same bore spacing as the 6 cylinder engine. There is also an aluminum head made specific for the 6 cylinder engines by Sissell Automotive and another by Joe Deppe, but require deep pockets unfortunately!

Ok, thanks Dude, Just wondered if there was another way. The L6 head will do ,,,just wondered also if the V6 was the same spacing as well, should be,, looking for an easy way out, EXotic is not always good, LOL Dad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 PM
nine4gmc's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: baton rouge
Age: 41
Posts: 209
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i may be wrong, but i think the v6 would be different spacing between cylinders. see how you have one cylinder, then space, then two close together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine4gmc
i may be wrong, but i think the v6 would be different spacing between cylinders. see how you have one cylinder, then space, then two close together?

I have worked on them but it has been so long ago ,, It seems they are the same,, but I would have to look again before I would tell someone that they were. I think i will pick up an old set and see, My son has a friend that his yard is now a salvage yard LOL so he should have them for nothing. That small block set up would be cool and very different to run on the street. It may very well hurt the HP in the long run,but it would sure make a cool conversation piece,,,,, That would be EXOTIC, Dad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 05:24 PM
F-BIRD'88's Avatar
Yada Yada Yada
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,153
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 380 Times in 374 Posts
With all these mods you best do a care full realistic cost analyis. The junk yard turbo(s) will look real good once you do the math.

This is how you make a straight six go fast at low cost . It works extremely well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=F-BIRD'88]With all these mods you best do a care full realistic cost analyis. The junk yard turbo(s) will look real good once you do the math.

This is how you make a straight six go fast at low cost . It works extremely well.[/QU


Sure they do, but what we want to do or have, is a naturally aspirated engine. If I was going that way, I would bolt a 4:71 blower to it. To me , that makes more since. But thanks anyway, Dad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ringgold, Ga.
Posts: 454
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine4gmc
i may be wrong, but i think the v6 would be different spacing between cylinders. see how you have one cylinder, then space, then two close together?
The 4.3L V6 does have the same bore spacing as the SBC engines. We also did a budget turbo install on the 250 dyno tests we did, but you still have to do the head work to get decent gains, because in stock trim the siamese head is too restrictive, it flows less than 160 CFM on the intake. After you mill the bolt bosses out and install the "lumps" and put in 1.94" valves, it jumps to 270 CFM. There aren't many, if any at all production heads that will give you that much gain for doing so little. These engines are often overlooked for what they can do. There is a guy on Inliners right now that just went an 8.44@160 MPH in a 1937 Chevy truck with drag radials.
Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 AM
stich626's Avatar
gearheadslife
 

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 372
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadshogshop
Ok, then what about the 250? I was after more cubic inches, but can I pull something out of the 250 that would be impressive? How far will the $2k go? I can help with some of the cost over that. He just wants something impressive and different. Something you just don't see everyday. I have built many small blocks chevys over the years. What RPM's are these capable of?
I would think that the stroke being what it is, it could be made scream,,,,
unless he's doing this just to be different.. may I

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-goodwr...gines/12530282


350 Crate Engine 1996-02 Chevrolet/GMC Pick-Ups and SUV's
View Products $1,979.95SKU: 12530282
Price: $1,979.95
This engine can serve a multitude of purposes. A completely new GM engine from top to bottom, built as the factory replacement for the 1996 2002 5.7L equipped pick-ups and SUVs, is equipped with the now infamous cast iron Vortec heads for unbelievable power and torque. This engine also makes a great starting point for any project car where the fender wells will be filled with a small block Chevrolet. With a just a few performance parts and a good exhaust system this 5.7L Vortec will push over 350 horsepower without blinking! So whether you have a street rod project in the garage or your wifes 1996 Suburban needs new power with a warranty, call the engine professionals at Scoggin Dickey.

Original Factory Applications:
1999-2000 Chevrolet, GMC CK 1 (L31) M30 (exc. NM8)
1996- 98 Chevrolet, GMC CK1,2 (L31)(5.7R) M50, M 30 (exc. NM8)
1996-2002 Chevrolet, GMC G1,2 (L31)(5.7R) M30

Every GM Goodwrench engine is made to the same engineering standards that goes into each new GM vehicle. It's tested to perform under the most demanding conditions, assuring you the reliability and quality you expect from the Goodwrench name and backed by a 36-month/100,000 mile transferable limited warranty when installed into the correct applcation.

Notes: For 2001 G-Van applications, some may require the Valve Covers to be transferred from the original engine.

Free Photoinstruction Manual Set with Purchase of this Engine
Complete removal and reinstallation instructions for the DIY'ers. $149.95 Value! The Photoinstruction system created by Dr. Whaba is about being able to see what needs to be done instead of just reading about it. Each Whaba page shows how to do the work with a color photo, icons detailing what tools to use and where to use them and only a few words.

350 Crate Engine 1996-02 Chevrolet/GMC Pick-Ups and SUV's (12530282) Specifications
350 Crate Engine 1996-02 Chevrolet/GMC Pick-Ups and SUV's (12530282) Specifications
Core Value: 100
Cubic Inch: 350
Liters: 5.7
New/Reman: New
Transmission: Auto / Manual



add cost of a vortec intake.. and you just can't beat it.. and you'll have better chance of finding used headers,etc for a 350 nova
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626
unless he's doing this just to be different.. may I

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-goodwr...gines/12530282


350 Crate Engine 1996-02 Chevrolet/GMC Pick-Ups and SUV's
View Products $1,979.95SKU: 12530282
Price: $1,979.95
This engine can serve a multitude of purposes. A completely new GM engine from top to bottom, built as the factory replacement for the 1996 2002 5.7L equipped pick-ups and SUVs, is equipped with the now infamous cast iron Vortec heads for unbelievable power and torque. This engine also makes a great starting point for any project car where the fender wells will be filled with a small block Chevrolet. With a just a few performance parts and a good exhaust system this 5.7L Vortec will push over 350 horsepower without blinking! So whether you have a street rod project in the garage or your wifes 1996 Suburban needs new power with a warranty, call the engine professionals at Scoggin Dickey.

Original Factory Applications:
1999-2000 Chevrolet, GMC CK 1 (L31) M30 (exc. NM8)
1996- 98 Chevrolet, GMC CK1,2 (L31)(5.7R) M50, M 30 (exc. NM8)
1996-2002 Chevrolet, GMC G1,2 (L31)(5.7R) M30

Every GM Goodwrench engine is made to the same engineering standards that goes into each new GM vehicle. It's tested to perform under the most demanding conditions, assuring you the reliability and quality you expect from the Goodwrench name and backed by a 36-month/100,000 mile transferable limited warranty when installed into the correct applcation.

Notes: For 2001 G-Van applications, some may require the Valve Covers to be transferred from the original engine.

Free Photoinstruction Manual Set with Purchase of this Engine
Complete removal and reinstallation instructions for the DIY'ers. $149.95 Value! The Photoinstruction system created by Dr. Whaba is about being able to see what needs to be done instead of just reading about it. Each Whaba page shows how to do the work with a color photo, icons detailing what tools to use and where to use them and only a few words.

350 Crate Engine 1996-02 Chevrolet/GMC Pick-Ups and SUV's (12530282) Specifications
350 Crate Engine 1996-02 Chevrolet/GMC Pick-Ups and SUV's (12530282) Specifications
Core Value: 100
Cubic Inch: 350
Liters: 5.7
New/Reman: New
Transmission: Auto / Manual



add cost of a vortec intake.. and you just can't beat it.. and you'll have better chance of finding used headers,etc for a 350 nova

I agree, that is one way to go. He needs to make up his mind, I was all set to build this 292. Dad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Street or strip??? chevyIInova Hotrodders' Lounge 4 02-20-2012 10:30 AM
which cam for a street/strip 383 my87Z Engine 5 07-09-2011 02:43 PM
opinions on solid roller lifters for a street/strip car that sees more street time my87Z Engine 1 07-03-2011 11:52 AM
Street/strip transmission options for my chevy nova. kficiur Transmission - Rearend 2 10-12-2009 09:03 AM
350 or 383 for street some strip graham83oh Engine 3 12-30-2002 09:53 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.