Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Building a 327, need some pointers
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 03:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
if you want 350hp and a cheap build the easiest way is to start with a good 350 long block, as soon as you pop open an engine block and start looking at doing some machine work you can look for at least a $1,000 bill to do it close to right. A free block that needs machining and a set of used pistons really isn't worth much to be honest, A block needs about $500-$800 on average to bring it to usable condition, then you have a crank, balancing, cleaning up, a good ring,bearing,gasket kit, etc.

I definatly considered this, however I'm having trouble finding any decent long blocks that haven't been torn down or beat up to all hell for the money. My shop will do the block I got for $300, and their work is respectable. I figure I got the pistons and rods, find a used crank (or the shop may have one), craigslist has tons of ads for heads. I have a comp thumpr cam (the smaller one) that I might sell seeing as that I heard these cams are not that great, that should help to buy a different cam and lifter setup. I have an edelbrock intake, and I can buy a holley carb for about $100, not counting the cost of a rebuild. I figured I would spend about 1-2 grand in the end.