Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Building a 327, need some pointers (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/building-327-need-some-pointers-195042.html)

Bad66 03-23-2011 02:41 PM

Building a 327, need some pointers
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, thanks for looking. Basically I have a chevy 350 "010" 4 bolt block with virgin bores, and a full set of 327 .030 over domed pistons and rods. All of this was given to me by a friend so I'm considering it a win. My plan is to get the block machined and bored .030 to match the pistons. I'm wondering what some good recommendations would be for building this into a "budget engine" as that money is a little tight (eh, wife got laid off a while ago but were doing ok). Basically I'm looking for cam/head/intake/carb suggestions for a good street motor. I currently have a tci streetfighter turbo 350 with a 2200 stall and stock gears. I'm looking for about 350 or more hp with a real good launch off the line.

My friend is a respectable engine builder, an old guy with nascar engine experience. He said these pistons would be about 10:1 cr with 64cc heads. Let me know what you think!

Here's a pic of the pistons

ap72 03-23-2011 02:54 PM

if you want 350hp and a cheap build the easiest way is to start with a good 350 long block, as soon as you pop open an engine block and start looking at doing some machine work you can look for at least a $1,000 bill to do it close to right. A free block that needs machining and a set of used pistons really isn't worth much to be honest, A block needs about $500-$800 on average to bring it to usable condition, then you have a crank, balancing, cleaning up, a good ring,bearing,gasket kit, etc.

Bad66 03-23-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ap72
if you want 350hp and a cheap build the easiest way is to start with a good 350 long block, as soon as you pop open an engine block and start looking at doing some machine work you can look for at least a $1,000 bill to do it close to right. A free block that needs machining and a set of used pistons really isn't worth much to be honest, A block needs about $500-$800 on average to bring it to usable condition, then you have a crank, balancing, cleaning up, a good ring,bearing,gasket kit, etc.


I definatly considered this, however I'm having trouble finding any decent long blocks that haven't been torn down or beat up to all hell for the money. My shop will do the block I got for $300, and their work is respectable. I figure I got the pistons and rods, find a used crank (or the shop may have one), craigslist has tons of ads for heads. I have a comp thumpr cam (the smaller one) that I might sell seeing as that I heard these cams are not that great, that should help to buy a different cam and lifter setup. I have an edelbrock intake, and I can buy a holley carb for about $100, not counting the cost of a rebuild. I figured I would spend about 1-2 grand in the end.

mud bros 03-23-2011 04:20 PM

a search on car part.com netted a bunch of 1996-1998 chev 5.7 truck engines around 110 000 mi at 500-800 with a warentee in your state.

slap on a vortec specific intake and new performance cam and you will get a easy 300-350hp with tuning for around the cost of machining on your current unit.

those pistons look like a 7-10cc dome and will make well over 10:1 depending on gaskets and how deep they sit in the bore.

Bad66 03-23-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud bros
a search on car part.com netted a bunch of 1996-1998 chev 5.7 truck engines around 110 000 mi at 500-800 with a warentee in your state.

slap on a vortec specific intake and new performance cam and you will get a easy 300-350hp with tuning for around the cost of machining on your current unit.

those pistons look like a 7-10cc dome and will make well over 10:1 depending on gaskets and how deep they sit in the bore.


Thanks for the advice, I have never been to carpart.com. I'm really aiming towards this engine have a carb instead of fuel injection. Would this be possible with just a intake/cam switch on that late year on an engine? I have never done a fuel injection to carb swap or vice versa. You will have to excuse my knowledge on engine building as that I'm still kind of learning.

F-BIRD'88 03-23-2011 10:19 PM

You don't have a crankshaft yet. A regrindable stock cast 350 crank is much more likely to fall out of the sky, into your lap than a usable 327 crank.
Here is an example of a +30 -10-10 SBCkit

When it does drop into your lap , get a 350 engine kit with flat top 350 pistons and build a 355.

You local engine rebuilder probabily has a 350crank all ready reground in stock.


Sell the high domed 327 pistons on evil bay or....

Any of the hi perf small chamber heads will work well EG vortec 062 906
EG L98 113, 083 with some porting, EG later camel back 186-492-041. EG #4416 305 HO heads with home porting and 1.94 valves.

Cam with stock converter 211 to 218@.050 .450-.490 lift.

Performer rpm 750carb headers. Gears will make it more fun.

The thumpr cam will not be happy with a stock converter and gears.

10" 3000+ stall and 3.73-4.10's for best results w/a thumpr cam.

mud bros 03-24-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad66
Thanks for the advice, I have never been to carpart.com. I'm really aiming towards this engine have a carb instead of fuel injection. Would this be possible with just a intake/cam switch on that late year on an engine? I have never done a fuel injection to carb swap or vice versa. You will have to excuse my knowledge on engine building as that I'm still kind of learning.


real easy to swap the 96-98 vortec to carb.

new $129 summit vortec manifold and a hei distributor from a pre 87 small block.

just make sure you get a distributor drive gear to match the roller cam.

the vortec 96-98 has to be the best junkyard swap out there

lg1969 03-24-2011 11:38 AM

Do you know what size is the rod journals are? You will need 350 rods and a 68, 69 forge 327 crank or get a 307 crank. Then you can build a 327 using a 010 block.
BTW: Get a 350 harmonic balancer

F-BIRD'88 03-24-2011 12:08 PM

The only problem with the 307 crank for a 327 is the rebalance job blows the budget. (unless you can make the 327 pistons weight the same as the old 307 pistons, yourself.)

The 327 pistons dome is way too big unless you match it with a 76cc smog head.
For a 64cc head the 327 piston dome has to be .100" or less. (flat top) to be pump gas friendly.

The big dome +76cc head creates a very convoluted combustion chamber.

junior stocker 03-24-2011 02:28 PM

Big domes=big weight, and a mandatory rebalance. To complicate it, your pistons are already on the rods; so unless you know IF they were balanced, and what the weights were, you're going to have to press the pistons off and start over. And, it's a lot easier and cheaper to find a 350 crank as opposed to a large journal 327/307. Use your block, use your rods, get new 350 pistons, a 350 crank, and vortec heads. Easier to get 350 hp from a 350 than 327 these days. Although all I have are 327's (cept' for the 305 stroker in my truck).

DoubleVision 03-25-2011 12:01 PM

Another issue is do you know if the rods you were given are large or small journal? If they are small journal you can`t use them in a 350 block, as it`s a large journal size. If the rods are small journals to be honest I wouldn`t waste my time on them. As mentioned, I would find a 1996 and up complete Vortec 350. Then you`ll already have a good performance platform with the use of a roller cam and Vortec heads. Do a cheapy rering job on it, slap a larger roller cam inner, get some good valve springs and the heads clearanced, a intake, some headers and you`ll have lots of fun and be pump gas safe. I`ve come across many of these engines and each time the block didn`t need a bore job as it only had .001 of wear and this was over 150,000 miles on each but one. I love 327`s, when built right they`ll hump, but for the budget and fun you can`t beat a Vortec 350.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.