BUilding a 327 small block - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 06:14 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
ARE YOU SUPRISED ???????
Absolutely not, but this guy claims to be making his power at 5500, which is unrealistic.

Plus he does not have a big rear (or maybe he is just skinny)...

Run the calcs based upon his description and see what times come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Evan J. Smith (MM & FF magazine) said,

"Most people worry too much about horsepower and not enough about getting down the track."

(or something really close to that)
Old 01-16-2007, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Absolutely not, but this guy claims to be making his power at 5500, which is unrealistic.

Plus he does not have a big rear (or maybe he is just skinny)...

Run the calcs based upon his description and see what times come up.

That is my point, exactly.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

http://www.google.com/search?q=1/4+m...&start=10&sa=N

Most of these use horsepower at the tires........ not the flywheel.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Burnt rubber and Raceing gas

So what you all r telling me is that I can't do much with a small journ. 327 so I need to stick with the 350. If so is the 383 my best option?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:50 PM

Ok OK listen with what I have told you and I know I will need ignition and stall and a 2 speed powerglide doesn't sound bad maybe with a trans brake or somthing .I will also be running a 250 shot. The carb I have right now is a worked up 650 holley pumper. I have a intake choice of Edelbrock air gap, performer, victor jr clone, street dominator. Don't know what heads yet ,I'm still studying. I like the 3917291 heads with the 2.02-1.60s like they used on the 302. I just want to do this right the first time and have a nice head turner strip and street. Think I could lift the tires with this thing? I would really like to shut alot of people up around here honestly. Like I said thay think if you do not have a 383 you can't run, I want to say I can run just as fast as your full drag car and still drive it home ( Iwouldn't really drive it everyday but I would sound cool saying it!)HE HE. I do not have a thought on a gear yet right now it is stock.I want 4 link but...... Hey do you know how to post pics on here?Please step me thru it!
Old 01-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle
So what you all r telling me is that I can't do much with a small journ. 327 so I need to stick with the 350. If so is the 383 my best option?
You can do a lot with a small journal 327, just not for the application that you proposed. The 383 is a much better choice for this application.

You have to remember that you have a very short distance to get your times in with the 1/8th. This takes brutal torque to get you moving which the 327 is not optimum for.

Yes, you can get the front wheels off the ground with a 327, but it will take dollars and you will have to compromise on streetability.

If you were running the full 1/4, then that's a different story as you have more distance to take advantage of the rpm's...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle

The old saying.... There ain't no replacement for displacement.
Somebody else said, "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

Bigger makes more power, consumes more money to build, consumes more money to feed. (eats gas, eats transmissions, eats rears, eats tires, etc.)

Small journal 327s are fine engines.
But your expectancy should realize that it is a 327 and gives up 52 cubes/ 52 hp just by its size compared to a 383. (383-331= 52)
It can produce adequate fun power for the street, if you accept that it is not going to be the quickest car, or even close. It can be fun to play.

That is all we are saying.
If you are like 96% of us that come to this site.... you always wish you had built more power. WE ARE POWER JUNKIES. People that "know" say it is worse than cocaine...

But sometimes you just have to have a limit, and live with it. That's life.

What was the original question????????
Old 01-16-2007, 07:05 PM

I swear on my dead mothers grave on this motor ... ill post my time slips on here tomorrow... ever heard of hi rev racing engines out of granger Indiana??? The top engine builder there is Jim gaugler? he built the 327 that I ran in the camaro... heck this guy had a 69 camaro that coasted doing 9's in a quarter at osceola dragstrip in elkhart Indiana... HI REV... SO HOLD YOUR HORSES HERES WHERE THE SOURCE IS
Old 01-16-2007, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast79malibu
I swear on my dead mothers grave on this motor ... ill post my time slips on here tomorrow... ever heard of hi rev racing engines out of granger Indiana??? The top engine builder there is Jim gaugler? he built the 327 that I ran in the camaro... heck this guy had a 69 camaro that coasted doing 9's in a quarter at osceola dragstrip in elkhart Indiana... HI REV... SO HOLD YOUR HORSES HERES WHERE THE SOURCE IS

Sure it can be done. I am interested in the details of the engine and trans, rear, actual running weight, etc.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast79malibu
Nobody here ever said that it couldn't be done, but I want dyno slips showing the use of the 194 heads making 458 hp @ 5500 rpm.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:08 PM

OK so I trash the 327 idea for this project and go with the 350, What should I do to this motor to give it 500 horses or as close as I can get? Give me the goods or tell me what motor I should build for this app and I will start looking! I am glad I found this site! This could be the start of a beautiful friendship!
Old 01-16-2007, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

Your "street car just barely, 1/8 mile drag" (post #1) lets us spend a lot of your money.....

Are we starting with a bare 350 flat tappet block, or a 5.7 roller engine fully assembled donor??

If it is a bare block of either, you can make it a 383 for not much more money.

Do we have $ 5000 to work with ?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Build it right the first time

Last photo:

Short Block:

4340 Forged 3.75 or 3.80 stroke crank, 4340 Forged H-Beam rods, 11.5:1 - 12:1 Forged Pistons

Top End:

AFR 195cc Runner Heads, Solid Roller cam 240-250* duration at .050 lift 106-108* centerline, 1.7 roller rockers, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake 750 Holley HP DP Carb

That should get you started.....others may chime in with better choices
Old 01-16-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
You can do a lot with a small journal 327, just not for the application that you proposed. The 383 is a much better choice for this application.

You have to remember that you have a very short distance to get your times in with the 1/8th. This takes brutal torque to get you moving which the 327 is not optimum for.

Yes, you can get the front wheels off the ground with a 327, but it will take dollars and you will have to compromise on streetability.

If you were running the full 1/4, then that's a different story as you have more distance to take advantage of the rpm's...
I would love to set my car up for 1/4 mile but the closest one to me is Rockingham everything thing else around is 1/8. I hate that you can't do that much with a 327 they sure can scream. I fell in love with one in my brothers 67 camaro. I don't want to put mega bucks just in one motor. I want the best bang for my buck of course. Maybe the question I should have asked was Whats the best small block to build for your money?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.