Building a 350...any suggestions? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2003, 08:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Building a 350...any suggestions?

I'm building a 350 for a 1984 Chevy Camaro Z28, and I'm not quite sure what I should do to it. Here's the engine I'm working with: 1970 4-bolt main (casting# 3970010) - bored .030 over, 1.94 heads, Blue Racer Solid lift cam (.555 lift on exhaust and intake & 289, 279 duration), Weiand Dual-Tunnel Ram, 2 650 Holley's.

The engine has approx 4 hours on it, but I want to tear it down to the block and rebuild it. Here's what I'm thinking of doing to it: 1.)have the block washed, line-bored, and the crank turned. Replace the pistons with Keith Black Signature Series flat-top hypereutectic pistons(are they any good? Should I go with JE or TRW or any others?). Replace the Cam/Lifters, Dual Tunnel-Ram, and Holley carbs with the <a href="http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=34388&prmenbr=361" target="_blank">Edelbrock Performer Power Package</a> from Jegs. Have the intake and heads ported/polished. And a Milodon high volume oil pump. Is there anything I'm missing?

I'm looking for *right around* 350 horsepower (the block I have came stock with 300)and a DEPENDABLE engine with a semi-smoothe idle. I want something I can run the heck out of when I want, and putt around without worrying about killing the engine. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do? I would truly appreciate any feedback. Thanks ahead of time!

[ April 01, 2003: Message edited by: Custom95Z ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I think this is going to be a street engine? a tunnell ram isn`t needed, the performer package is made for low RPM torque, tunnell rams are made for high RPM power. line boring the block isn`t needed either if there was no spun main bearings. go with a dual plane intake and 1 650 cfm carb and your package will be a lot more drivable and a lot less lop sided.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:03 AM

That tunnal ram will be a broblem I have a 427 bored 60 over with a big cam and all that wonderful stuff and i had a tunnal ram with 2 600's and it was too much for the motor if you over feed a motor it will not run up to it potenial so think about two way smaller carbs or like a single 650 maybe 700.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:15 PM

Hey guys thanks for the repies. I didn't make myself clear as to what I wanted to do with the engine lol

I would like to strip it down to the block and go from there. I want to have the crank machined and also replace the oil pump, pistons, heads(replace the 1.94's with ported and polished 2.02's) rods, cam, intake, carbs, and ignition system.

The engine I have is a 1970 4-bolt out of a Chevy truck and I think it had 300 stock horsepower. I would like to build a nice streetable engine that will sound nice and idle somewhere between ROUGH and STOCK.

Here are some of the things I have in mind for this engine build - Edelbrock Performer Package: Intake, Carb, Cam, Lifters; Keith Black Signature Series pistons, and 2.02 heads. MSD igniton system. Other than that I'm stuck. lol

Here are some questions I have: Which is better, flat or dome pistons? Hypeuretic pistons - what does this mean? Hydraulic or Solid cam? What would be the perfect CFM on the carb for this engine? Are Kieth Black Signature Series pistons good? Is TRW better? JE forged pistons? Who makes affordable, but good rods? 1.6 Rockers or?? ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead of time..

Paul
Old 04-02-2003, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

I just bought a set of speed pro forged pistons and they were cheep for what they are. Forged are stronger than hyps. The hyps are a cast piston with a high silicon content. the flat tops are plenty good if you have 64 or 68 cc heads. they can give you 10:1 comp easy or slight domes are good too. dont go crazy on compression. if you want this thing for the street go with a medium cam. im going with 224 230 duration. If you plan on reving it high go with a forged crank like a 5140 forging. Im getting my rods from eagle for 200. there 5140 forged rods ive heard good things about. I bought my rebuild kit from summit for 330 and it came with the speed pro forged pistons a high volume pump, all new gaskets, berings, etc. There a real nice little set for the price. If you havent bought the cam ive heard to just go with a bigger cam rather than go up in ratio of rockers. Keith black pistons are good if they are the diamond turned ones. go with a hyd. cam unless you like to constantly adjust rockers. hyd soak up the slack and dont need to be messed with very often. plus you can, get anti pump up hyd. ones to get the same basic function as the solids. Or get rhoads variable duration lifters you will get idle at low r's and then they give you the cams grunt later when its supposed to hit. that way you can idle. Id try a 650 cfm vacuume secondary carb or at most like a 700 vac. secondary. Im still running a big Q-jet on mine due to their design, they seem to work well enough. good luck have fun.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.