building 350 Neeed help and info - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2003, 08:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

building 350 Neeed help and info

ok poeple here it is i just got a 350 2 bolt its a 1976 2 main seal

i wonna build it for the streeet strip need some info on what to put in its going in a 1984 camaro z28 with 350 turbo tranny

350 its stock getting it bore .30
thinking about using 305 heads with 202 valves andf 1.60 exh.
port matched 58 cc

looking for a high compression setup
cam its 306 dur... 555 intake 555 exh.
i just got shorty headers today getting custom dual exhaust put on next week with dynomax mufflers
wanted to run 2 4 barrols
pete jason nosiy gear drive
not sure about pisons could someone help me put a good nasty setup togeather please i am 17 trying to learn this stuff help a kid out lol

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2003, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

If you want to use this car go with flat top pistons of good quality, the cam you quoted is not even close, for a street car with stock rear gears you will not want over .224@.050 duration cam and a .480 max lift. Forget putting 2.02-1.60 valves in a 305 head, you are wasting good money, picture putting a 36" storm door on a 28" opening. you got a bigger door but the hole is the same, 305 heads don't have enuff "window" to flow well this is done for throttle response on little motors. Use some 350 heads till you can afford some aftermkt heads, this is where the power is in a small block. Single fourbbl carb vac secondaries is the only way to go on the street with a stock geared car. Gear drives are the worst thing you can do for a small block chevy. Spend your money on a true roller, they are accurate and don't transmit vibrations to the top end.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:58 PM

ok

well its not gonna be a daily driver so i can build the motor pretty nasty i was looking at the dart heads 202 int 160 exh ok to start it off put rollor stuff in ok i want it to run at the strip theres a strip like 20 miles away i am gonna put a set of 373 gears in it with 350 turbo tranny its 12 bolt rear right now getting a cage put it frame susports so we can build this motor pretty nasty i am saving to build the motor as we speak i am looking for about 400+++ hp
Old 09-14-2003, 09:25 PM

Bob is right. your cam is way to big and those heads are not going to do it. Flat top pistons and a single 650 CFM carb on a dual plane intake what your after. Don't use the gear drive .Get a quality double roller timing chain instead. Try to get a set of the 1.94 valves and the 64 cc heads for the 350. At 17 yrs old your at a learning stage and parts costs money and so does a lack of knowledge. Better to start off small u will learn as u gain knowledge and experience. From wasted money and time which equals frustration.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

1.94, 1.50 valves are going to be plenty big enough. Keep the cam duration below 240 @ .50" and keep the lift under .530"
Old 09-14-2003, 09:53 PM

hrmm...

thing i am trying to get at i need help with getting the parts togeather to make 400+ hp so far i got

350 bore 30. over

heads-Pro TopLINE 220cc IRON SBC Chevy heads, these have a 64cc and 2.02/1.60 valves

double rollor timing chain

not sure about Cam

edelbrock performer rpm high rise

holly 550 double pump

thinking about 12-1 compression

this will be in my camaro for the strip

TRYING TO MAKE 400++ hp
Old 09-15-2003, 10:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Overcamming is something that too many people do. Bigger is not always better. It is all about making it work together. If you want to run that cam, you need to build the engine to breath to around 7k and run a set of 4.11 gears and a 10 inch convertor. It will work with 12:1 and the heads you have selected, but it will not be very streetable. Of course it really depends on what the .050 duration numbers are. 305 advertised duration cams vary wildly on the "real" duration numbers. It is all about area under the curve which .050 duration tells you more about.

I run a 300 Advertised duration cam in one of my 400 sbc's with 246 @ .050 lift. It is plenty nasty on the street and works pretty well with my combo, but is a bit of a bear around town.

Chris
Old 09-15-2003, 01:36 PM

same thing

I am in the process of similar stuff. I am using a 85 monte and i'm 16. Go to edelbrock website and order a free magazine or order from there a high rise dual quad intake and run either 2 650 or 700 cfm. anything higher will flood your engine and then you will need a high grade ignition system. if you have the money go with the racing edelbrock headswith 64 cc combustion chamber. that'll get the low end while your intake and carbs get the top end.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.