Building a 383 for an S-10. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 08:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Building a 383 for an S-10.

I'm looking for some help with putting a good engine combination together. I'm in the process of building a 383 for my 89 S-10 that I intend to use for a hot street kind of deal that I'd take out to the track from time to time (what most people on this board want to do with their cars/trucks).

I've been doing a lot of reading on here lately and have decided against a gear drive due to the harmonic affects and annoyance. What I want to do is use a roller cam/valve train and I'm not sure what to go with. I don't want to just buy a lot of expensive parts and hope they work together.

For heads I was looking toward a set of 64cc Combustion chamber Motown 220's or Sportsman II's. This would put my Compression Ration near 11:1. The 220's should be alright for the roller cam I believe, but I'm limited to the iron ones because I need straight plugs to work with the shorty headers for the S-10. I know fenderwells would be the best route, but they're pricey and I don't want to deal with the problems of installing/uninstalling them.

For an induction system, I do intend to use a fair ammount of nitrous, a minimum of 250hp setup. As far as an intake goes, I have been leaning toward a Victor Jr. type setup.

I basically want to know if I'm being led in the wrong direction with the cam/intake system since I'm limited to the shorty headers into dual 2.5 exhaust w/H-pipe. I don't want to end up having a cam lifting .600 and an engine flowing its maximum at .500 lift. If you're concerned about porting, I'm going to assume for now that I will leave the intake and heads as cast to rule out inconsistancies.

Thanks for any help, I know you guys get this all the time, and it probably won't stop soon, so the more suggestions the better. I really appreciate all of the knowlege offered on this board.

p.s. I will be using a braced Ford 9" rearend with 3.73-4.11 gears with either a spool (cheaper) or a posi if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 10:09 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Don't even cosider a spool for the street. How is your chassis going to be set up?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

At 11:1 you will need a cam with at least 234o of duration @ .050". At 234o you will still need some extra mods.

Don't run a spool on the street unless you like sheared lug nuts going into corners.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:02 PM

It's going to be a ladder bar suspension using the stock frame rails. Yea, I figured that'd be something I'd run into with a spool, I just don't want to "peg-leg" when I heat up the tires. I guess I should be looking toward something more like a locker, I just don't think that posi's have the grip that I'm looking for. Especially since I KNOW that I'll be doing "dry burnouts"
Old 03-09-2005, 11:05 PM

[QUOTE=lluciano77]At 11:1 you will need a cam with at least 234o of duration @ .050". At 234o you will still need some extra mods.
QUOTE]

Is that in reference to a typical roller cam?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.