Building a 383 Stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 08:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Building a 383 Stroker

I am very new to this and have just purchased a 1984 Camaro. I have the opportunity to purchase a 383 stroker but the individual that has it does not know anything about it. The engine is on a crate and I would like to know if there is a way for me to check to see what components it has. There are no timing gears or timing cover. Would I be able to see numbers on the crank and cam or what should I look for.
Thanks,
Camaro2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Stroked Z28

Last photo:

Sounds fishy. Internal or external balance rotating assembly? 2 bolt or 4 bolt mains? Roller block or not? Does he have the correct balancer & flywheel/flexpate to go with it? Flat top, dome, or dished pistons?

Regardless, w/out paperwork, I would treat this thing as a core. If the cylinder walls have fresh cross hatching & are not pear-shaped shaped then perhaps it is ok. Keep in mind that cross hatching alone does not indicate "true" cylinder walls - you need to measure them. I would still plan on having the block checked and rebalancing the rotating assembly just to be safe. If you make an offer, plan accordingly... If the cylinders wall are worn, then definitely treat this as a core... Yes; I'm pesimistic, but I've been burned a couple times on used engines.

A stroker is bit tricky because you can get to 383 ci several different ways (5.7" rods vs. 6.0" rods for example). You can also get there with a turned-down 400 crank OR an aftermarket, small journal, crank. Besides getting the casting number info off of the crank, try to get a look at the pistons as well. The 383's - especially the ones w/ 6" rods - put the pins higher up in the pistons to compensate for the longer stroke.

The Comp cams that I have seen were stamped with grind numbers on the end of the core. I can't remeber off the top of my head which end mine were stamped on. I would think that most manufacturers stamp their grind #'s on the cams. See if you can get a grind number & research it.

Good luck! Post back with pics & more questions once you have look at it. I'm sure people can give you lots of advice once they see what you're looking at.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Big Mouse

I appreciate your information. I will do as you say and take pics to post. The price is really good so even if I have to take it to a builder it may be worth it. I will proceed slowly. The story is the motor was built for a car that was totaled before it could be installed. Again Thanks for your reply!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Only way I would buy it is if it was in pieces so I could identify and measure everything. Like Big Mouse, I've been had when I was younger.

You need to know, like Big Mouse said, what crank was used, whether it is a turned down 400 crank or an aftermarket crank, is it internally or externally balanced (external if 400), rod length and manufacturer, piston compression height, type and manufacturer, piston deck height, camshaft type, part number and manufacturer, solid flat tappets, hydraulic flat tappets, solid roller tappets, hydraulic roller tappets, head casting number if OEM, head manufacturer and part number if aftermarket, combustion chamber size, gasket bore and thickness, etc., etc., etc.

It is my attitude not to believe ANYTHING that ANYONE tells me about something he/she is trying to sell me. If their lips are moving, they're lying.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.