Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Building a 84 camaro drag car
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

As I suggested,it's cheaper to buy a roller than to build one.In all the time we have been racing we only had one new car which was a Jeg's Beretta that we built.Well that is for door-slammers I mean.All 9.90 cars until the last 5yrs or so which have been 10.90's which is the secondary car in a two car race deal.So the rest where from the source of auctions or financially distressed project cars raced for a yr and flip sold.

I have to admit some of them where tube frame Camaro's.(not much of the stock body left)Anyone in drag racing will tell you the fastest fast track to going fast and the cheapest is to go light.The thing is stock body Camaro's weight is ton ++++.In any other respect they have many advantages.But they are very heavy cars.There is a formula rule of thumb that for every 100lbs is = to 10hp and to lose wt is by far cheaper than to buy/build 10hp.

I'm not trying to discourage you,just make you realize what your dealing with.By far it is tons easier to run a number in a car with the wt of 2300 lbs with you in it than one even with wt reduction in the range of 3,000 lbs the Camaro's are.

The super stock cars are huge budgets and much of that is engine development which you don't see.By far they spend tons more than we do in either 9.90 or 10.90 cars.I have afew friends that have run in those classes for many,many,yrs and they honestly have told me how much they have invested in only one season.It's scarey....................

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVISE I CAN PASS ON TO YOU!!. NEVER MARRY INTO ANY CAR LONG TERM!!. THAT IS THE CRITICAL MISTAKE GUYS MAKE ALL THE TIME.THE LONGER YOU KEEP IT THE LESS AND LESS CHANCE YOU WILL EVER SEE THAT MONEY AGAIN.GOT A FRIEND BOBBY WITH A VEGA THAT HAS OVER THE YRS INVESTED $250,000 NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN.GET A GOOD DEAL FROM WHERE I SAID AND ONLY RACE IT AT MOST FOR TWO SEASONS NEVER FALLING LOVE WITH ANYTHING!!!. THE REST OF ENGINE BUILDS/COMBOS IS MUCH EASIER AND FALL INTO PLACE.

Last edited by 1Gary; 03-12-2013 at 12:33 PM.