Building a 84 camaro drag car - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 06:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

years ago when I built my first car (henry j Gasser) all i had at the time was the 3.0 gear turbo 350 and used 2nd in the 1/4! you need a stump pullin gear for the 1/8 mile , when I changed to the 5.13 dropped it from 13.0 to 11.0 just like that ,then went to blown stuff I haven't been the same since
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 07:54 AM

the gear ratio in a turbo 350 are 2.52 1.52 and 1
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 AM

are those times in the quarter with that setup and what did you have for a motor
Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

yes 1/4 mile 350+ .060 camel humps 2.02 ported polished .680 rollercam (swapmeet 50.00) 3310 holley v secondarys 9 inch 5.13 32tall slicks strictly old school and lowbuck turbo 350 sat. nite special converter ,vertex mag. there is a pic of it in my album after i put the blower on it with gas, then alky blown and injected same engine mid 9's 137 mph
Old 03-11-2013, 11:59 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

I not suppose to post on forums about our race program.Partner hate forums.But I do think with this it is a free pass.Last yr's RED car in the 1/8 went 4.56 @ 150mph being on the bottle in the middle of the lap only .002.So it's been sold off and this yr's is totally different car/combo.We're thinking even faster this yr.

The second car won 10.90 track champ and a wkend champ winning twice at one track and again at a second track in the same wkend,never been done before.That was a decent pay day.$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The 3rd gen cars make very good drag cars.
There are many ways to build/upgrade the chassis and lots of aftermarket support for driveline and suspension and chassis parts for drag racing.

What performance level are you looking to achieve? Budget?

you can take some que's from any of the many stock eliminator and superstock '84 +/- era camaros you are sure to find at any drag strip.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 03-12-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

As I suggested,it's cheaper to buy a roller than to build one.In all the time we have been racing we only had one new car which was a Jeg's Beretta that we built.Well that is for door-slammers I mean.All 9.90 cars until the last 5yrs or so which have been 10.90's which is the secondary car in a two car race deal.So the rest where from the source of auctions or financially distressed project cars raced for a yr and flip sold.

I have to admit some of them where tube frame Camaro's.(not much of the stock body left)Anyone in drag racing will tell you the fastest fast track to going fast and the cheapest is to go light.The thing is stock body Camaro's weight is ton ++++.In any other respect they have many advantages.But they are very heavy cars.There is a formula rule of thumb that for every 100lbs is = to 10hp and to lose wt is by far cheaper than to buy/build 10hp.

I'm not trying to discourage you,just make you realize what your dealing with.By far it is tons easier to run a number in a car with the wt of 2300 lbs with you in it than one even with wt reduction in the range of 3,000 lbs the Camaro's are.

The super stock cars are huge budgets and much of that is engine development which you don't see.By far they spend tons more than we do in either 9.90 or 10.90 cars.I have afew friends that have run in those classes for many,many,yrs and they honestly have told me how much they have invested in only one season.It's scarey....................

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVISE I CAN PASS ON TO YOU!!. NEVER MARRY INTO ANY CAR LONG TERM!!. THAT IS THE CRITICAL MISTAKE GUYS MAKE ALL THE TIME.THE LONGER YOU KEEP IT THE LESS AND LESS CHANCE YOU WILL EVER SEE THAT MONEY AGAIN.GOT A FRIEND BOBBY WITH A VEGA THAT HAS OVER THE YRS INVESTED $250,000 NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN.GET A GOOD DEAL FROM WHERE I SAID AND ONLY RACE IT AT MOST FOR TWO SEASONS NEVER FALLING LOVE WITH ANYTHING!!!. THE REST OF ENGINE BUILDS/COMBOS IS MUCH EASIER AND FALL INTO PLACE.

Last edited by 1Gary; 03-12-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

There is a reason why we video the cars to watch the car hook during set-up.

Notice in this picture:

How square the car is wheelstanding.That is atleast frame ties but more than likely much more than that.

There is certainly lift in the rear,so suspension work done in the rear.

The front wheels are even and not twisted,so there again we're see more development in the front suspension/framework.

A narrowed rearend and what is common a 9" Ford. Drag Shocks/struts too.

Atleast a roll bar or cage.

Of course electronics come in play.

All this new adds up quick...............just another reason to buy a roller with all this done already.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.