Building a cheap street 307 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Novacrazy
What else did you have to compliment the cam?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

Over drive trans cause of the steeper first gear. Nice set of 373 or 411 in the rear to help with torque.

Thin head gaskets. nice dual plane intake. A pinch smaller cam then you have planned on to help with the low end. 2500 stall. Not sure about heads??
Old 07-09-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoTFrenzel
Don't worry about those old factory grinds.
Modern flat tappet lobe technology has come a long way in 45 years.

Youve already said that, but Ive yet to see you make a useful reccomendation..
Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The problem is, even with a .040 over bore, the pistons are "destroked" meaning, they have .020 off the compression height, so the pistons will fall short of the top of the bore by about .045 or more and kill the compression ratio, this is not good. If it were mine, I would have the block decked .020 and use a thin GM head gasket that has a .028 thickness. Next ditch the powerpack heads, these heads had rather small ports and valves, they would give you good torque and thats about it. I would use a set of 416 or 601 castings off a 305. they have slightly bigger valves and much bigger ports. As for a cam I would use a comp cams Magnum 268 grind that has .218 duration @ .050, it will give you the choppy idle but won`t kill off your low end torque. As suggested, use a dual plane intake such as the edelbrock performer or the like. Not sure what distributor you have planned to use, but I would use a HEI with spiral core plug wires routed correctly along with a 600 cfm carb or even better a Rochester Quadrajet. Use the pieces mentioned along with the headers suggested, you`ll have a nice daily driver along with performance that won`t break the bank on fuel economy. The idea on small cubic inch engines is to not take it too far, but close as you can get. when you get the block back from the machine shop, wash it real good and scrub the bores, when you can run a rag with WD40 in the bores without it picking up gray in color, you have clean bores. Gray is the color of the hone stones, and this grit will quickly wear the rings. Build the 307 correctly, and it`ll respond.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65smallblock
Youve already said that, but Ive yet to see you make a useful reccomendation..
Thank you for the compliment.

I gave some examples to support my positions (too big of a cam and old cam lobe techology), it's not just my personal opinions,

and I encourage people to contact at least two major cam companies for specific recommendations based on the detailed information of their hotrod (info we don't have here)
and the cam companies' years of user feedback.

IMO recommendations from an anonymous someone on a forum is insufficient.
I, too, am anonymous.

I give feedback to help people think.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 AM

Thats what I thiought. Who was it that said its easy to criticize when you have no position? Oh! I guess it was me..
Old 07-11-2008, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65smallblock
Thats what I thiought. Who was it that said its easy to criticize when you have no position? Oh! I guess it was me..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

An ad hominem argument, consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking ...the person making the argument or claim,

rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the argumentum ad hominem works to change the subject

the purpose of the characterization is to discredit the person offering the argument, and, specifically, to invite others to discount his arguments.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoTFrenzel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the argumentum ad hominem works to change the subject

Yo pot! Yea kettle...

What cam would you use???????????
Old 07-11-2008, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

While older oem cams do have very slow ramps compared to modern profiles they have a very distinct advantage-much longer cam and lifter life and far less likely to wipe upon first start for this very reason.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:34 PM

I'm gonna be using a .015 gasket thickness for the heads. What do you guys think? FelPro P/N 1094

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.