Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Building a Cheapy drag motor
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 01:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Building a Cheapy drag motor

Hey guys Im gonna try and build a budget drag car out of a 3rd gen.

I want to build a 383 (well thats a 30 over motor, whatever it is with a 60 overbore) with some spray cause i have a .60 over freshly machined 4 botl main block that I got for free a while back.

But I fear with the extra cubes and my budget it may be better to go with a 60 over and keep the 3.48 stroke as the extra cubes from the stroker may require better heads that I cant afford and it may pull my rpms down considerably. Sure it will make tons of torque but this will be a pretty much drag only car and a lot of torque really wont be neccesary. HPs what I need.

I was thinking maybe some touched up vortecs, and a pretty healthy cam.

Here is my next dilema, It not a hyd roller block, and Im a late model guy and the only thinkg I know is HR and SR stuff, how hard is it to convert a non roller block to work with HR lifters? Is it worth it for a build like this.

Is SR stuff real expensive for the Gen 1 stuff like it is for the Gen 2 and up motors?

What would you guys do. keep in mind this is a budget build and I will not be dropping 1K on heads.

Any Suggestions?

Last edited by Opti; 07-12-2008 at 01:38 PM.