Building a Chevy 305 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2002, 12:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cool Building a Chevy 305

I recently bought a 305 and was thinking of punching it up to replace the 4.3 litre V-6 I'm currently running in my 93 Chev. p/u. What do you all think about the 305 and what recommendations or sites do you have for adding performance on a somewhat limited budget.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2002, 11:54 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

The 305 is a decent motor.With a mild cam,holley,and headers they can make a good street motor.You can get a quality cam from summit for $80 600cm Holley for under $200 and a set of headers probably for around $150.But find out about emmissions laws in your area befor hand.
Old 06-09-2002, 03:00 AM

Well ok 305, but I have been told and have read everywhere to foregoe a 305 for a 350 for a good strong street engine!!
Old 06-09-2002, 07:59 AM

Being you already have the 305,I built one but I didnt punch it out but I used a 442 in.465 ex.cam headers,600 holley,double roller timing chain,2000 stall,shift kit.it ran okay but dont compare to a 350 just a thought (wrenchturner) ps clean out the extra crap in the heads this will help, mild port and polish

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: wrenchturner ]</p>
Old 06-09-2002, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

I had a 1981 el camino with a 305, it was slow. But after a little work, it was a screamin machine. Here's what I did; I had the heads ported and polished, new performer valve springs, 224in 224ex duration with 465in 465ex lift cam, single plane intake manifold w/ 600 cfm holly, large tube headers with a full 2 1/4 dual exhaust system with glass packs, 2400 stall converter with a th350 with shift kit. Accel coil. I drove it around like that for a wile and found that it had no torque(2.43:1 gears don't help to much), but after that engine hit 3500rpm it came right alive and it sounded mean. After putting 4.11:1 gears in the back, it was very quick. Theres just something you can work with, your not going to get much torque out of a 305 but if you give it a decent cam with a single plane manifold, you can get some serious rpms out of it. If I could go back though, I would have gone with a 350 or bigger, 305's were really built just to pass emissions. But I guess it all depends on what your going to use it for.
Old 06-09-2002, 10:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Nothing is better for performance than cubic inches, for the $100 dollars it will cost you to find a 350 engine it would be money well spent. Particularily for a truck which will use the extra torque from time to time, there won't be any significant mileage decrease and the heads and blocks are beefier on the 350. All in all it's a win-win situation if you go with the bigger motor, the way I look at it is a year from now you will be wondering what it would have been like with an extra 50 cubes. Save yourself the self doubt and build it in to begin with, you won't be sorry.

You might even want to consider getting a 400 sbc for your truck, slip a reground crank and some special rods and you could have a 440 ci motor in there. Hmmmmm....come to think of it a big block 454 punched out to 500 cubes could really haul the potatoes out of the field too!!! AHHHHH!!!! I'm just getting silly now, but just think how that truck would go with a 500ci big block....nevermind, forget I mentioned it!!!

Seriously though......BIG BLOCK CHEVY-YOUR EYES ARE GETTING SLEEPY-YOUR CHECKBOOK IS GETTING LIGHTER-YOUR PLASTIC CREDIT IS EATING YOU ALIVE-IT WILL NEVER BE FAST ENOUGH-YOU WON'T BE SATISFIED UNTIL IT LIFTS THE FRONT WHEELS OFF THE GROUND.

Just kidding have fun with whatever you decide.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:16 PM

Thanks for all of the good advice and fun hints I found a 350 today. I think I'll just have to see what kind of fun I can have with that for now although the 500 sound like the ticket. I'll just save the 305 for something else like maybe an S-10. Again thanks
Old 06-12-2002, 07:16 PM

A Buick 455 will bolt in or a olds 455. Lots of torque at low RPM. Allso the olds and Buick engines are cheep compaired to a 455 chevy. A 455 Buick with 9.5 to 1 comp will but out allmost 500 pound foot torque. That will get your attenion when you hit the gas
Old 06-19-2002, 07:33 PM

Cool

hi this is some thing to consider ive got a 305 bought cheap.after cleaning up the heads fitting lt1 springs and a mild cam .i fitted a wieand 177 blower .after running in ,i gave the loud pedel a boot and boy did it go.i had a 420 hp 350 in there before and the 305 gose better.im looking forward to putting the blower on the new 350 im building to suit .good luck whatever you choose to do.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:00 PM

I want to put the 305 or the 350 in my 1991 chev truck but was wondering about wiring harness and trans, I have an automatic.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:22 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

bbogler,you'd probably be better off writeing your own post on this asking specific questions.This is an old post here.
Monte
Old 08-19-2002, 11:19 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

just fyi, powerhouse 661-861-0167, has a 335 stroker kit for 305's. $600

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.