Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Building a door dolly?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
I have used the stands before and can't say enough about just getting a friend over to help you and forget about all the hoists and belts. If you MUST use some tool, of course that is different. But getting a friend is so much easier.

If this car is going to be painted anyway, you don't need any hoists OR friends, just pull the door off yourself. I have done it for years by myself and it isn't that hard. I will try to get a photo today of doing it, but basically what you do is get on your knees inside the door with it open. Let's say you are removing the left door. You get all the bolts out of the hinges but two, one in each hinge. For that matter, you can have them ALL out but one, one in the upper hinge. You scoot your left knee forward under the door in just about the center pushing up on the door with the ball of your foot on the ground. Your left hand is holding the top of the door from falling in, out, or forward or back, the door will be balancing on the top of your knee. You remove that last bolt with your right hand and pull the door back from the car by leaning your leg back. When it's away you grab it with both hands and roll your leg back all the way allowing it to come back onto the ground.

Now, removing the latch and window and everything first makes this much easier. And also running the last bolt in and out of the hinge before you remove the other bolts to loosen it up is also a big help.

But honestly, I have been removing and installing doors in this manor by myself for years, including newly painted doors without a hitch.

Brian