Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Building First Engine
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

crate engine???????

first off that just takes all the fun and pride out of it... If your like me at all, you enjoy having the satisfaction of saying yea, "i did that". Anyone can go buy something from a book and call it quits, but the real pleasure comes when you beat the guys who got his from book with something you transformed with your own two hands.

second off there is no need for a crate engine if hes got a good short block. Even if he's gotta put a set of rings in it and bearings, hes lookin at $200-300 for a a block and rotating assembly thats perfectly fine up to 500HP. Even with dish tops he could still make it over 300 with out a doubt.

I tell you what I'm building, a 350 right now with a comp 280 magnum cam 480/480 lift, speed pro flat top hyper pistons, stock re furb crank, stck 5.7 rods, 10.45:1 CR with 58cc 305 HO headsgasket matched and bowl blended, 1.6 aluminum roller rockers, Edelbrock performer RPM dual plane intake, holley 750 carb, TH 350 stage 2 shift kit 3000 stall, 3.73 rear gears, 25-2800 lbs car. I've had 6 professional engine designers estimate that i'll have between 375-400 HP and 410 ft/lb TQ. I'll finish this engine for under $1000, and walk all over most crate motors that the average person can afford. Yes, its cause i already have most of the stuff sitting in my garage, but this is all stuff anyone can get very reasonable price, If you cant, I can, send me a PM. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.
Danny