building frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2003, 05:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post building frame

Well, it's finally in the shop to get a new frame and running gear. Striped the cobra today for the new power plant, running gear and front end. When the 393Clevor is done that will be going in so I have to make the room for it now so I wont run into problems later.

I'm building a frame for it so what size tubing should I go with?

Any good sites out there about where to start?

Any help would be welcome?

thanks Steve..........

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: 393Clevor ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2003, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

i usually use 2"-3" 11guage tubing for these type projects, sometimes 2"-4" but your car looks fairly light weight. Both are common sizes and available (usually in stock) at supply houses. the .120 wall adds some extra weight but is more of a safety factor for street cars. what front suspension? round or square crossmembers?
Old 01-01-2003, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

after looking more closely at your pictures i see you have a pinto-mustang ll type front suspension, i have found that if you get an aftermkt crossmember it is much easier to set up that system, as fords idea of welding layer on layer of sheetmetal to gain strength really sucks when trying to adapt the crossmember to anything. this is a unit body? Hillman or Volvo type? the last one of these bodys i did i made a subframe that slid into the orig frame just inside the rear spring perches,after removing the orig front part of the frame, tied it together with the rest of the body at locations on the rocker panels and lower firewall, then ran a strut from the upper firewall forward to the frontal frame area where it held the radiator support sheetmetal and a strut type front end,the unit body makes a very stiff sound structure and all the new frame is actually doing is holding the front suspension drivetrain and front sheetmetal. take lots of measurements, get a mech drawing,cad-cam type program for your computer and you can get exact pieces fabricated. good luck

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.