Hot Rod Forum banner

Building A Homemade C-cab !!!

606K views 1K replies 99 participants last post by  Richard D 
#1 ·
Well !!!! I started cutting the iron yesterday at around 4:eek:o .. :thumbup: This is going to be another homemade hot rod... I was going to keep this one behind the doors.. But why not let everyone see it in the making... It will not be built in 75 hours.. I will be taking this one ''ALL'' the way.. I aways thought the pizza wagon was so cool.. I was going to make one just like it, But decided to make it my own.. SOMETHING DIFFERENT.. The pizza wagon was done already.. Time for a new one.. I hope everyone enjoys the build and thread.. Feel free to speak up.. :thumbup: THE AMPS ARE NOW BURNING !!! :mwink:

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Mill
#777 ·
NEW INTERIORS said:
Yes they are.....dodge intrepid, and Chrysler Concorde.... :thumbup:

Some have the round bars... Some have the half round bars...These or the round bars... When We seen them... The mind was running wild.... And they or cheap... :thumbup:

That's some good scrounging.
I was thinking the same thing as Brian. Never seen them on a factory car.

#781 ·
MARTINSR said:
Randy, have you ever diced one in half to check the wall thickness? I am thinking it would be enough, just wondering.

Brian

No I didn't.... But I really don't know what the weight is on that car.... I'm Guessing close to 4000lbs I'm sure..... So If it can handle the weight of that car I'm sure They are strong enough..Believe me !!!! I will put them through the test !!!! :mwink:

They looked to be 1-1/4'' outside to outside... :thumbup:

I just looked them up... Look to weigh around 3500 lbs.. :D

#783 ·
Billybob123 said:
I think it's pretty cool looking, great to know that you did all yourself. There is not many can say that. :welcome:

Thanks !!!! :thumbup: That's the best part of doing one yourself... There is only one like it ,,and you made it.... So far I'm the only one that has ever touched this car.. :thumbup:

#784 ·
#787 ·
Thanks... :thumbup: I want to start working on the c-cab or my Coupe so bad.... But everything's been on hold for now with my wife down.... She's about to start back at work soon..... Just trying to stay a float for now..... Things are tough all over for everyone.... :smash: But it will come around.... Can't lose faith at this point.... This c-cab should have been done by now..... :smash:

#789 ·
daoldbuick said:
I've learned that the best designs are usually based on Pi. Example the width of your entrance is aprox Pi (1.66) times the depth of the cowl. Look into the Pi thing if you build another one and see what it looks like if you can work Pi into the proportioning of your design. I'll leave it at this as I'm not a automobile designer. If there are any who hang out here maybe they would be kind enough to correct me if I'm wrong.
You're mixing mathmatics here.
1.61x is the golden ratio or "phi" not Pi (which is 3.14x). Supposedly the Parthenon and many other historical rectangular things are based on this principal (including some historical US monuments, the Mona Lisa and the Great Pyramid). Devise a rectangle that can be split into unequal halves, one half being a perfect square, and the other half being proportional to the entire rectangle. That is the golden rectangle. It's interesting, and can be useful for things with 90* corners and the Pentastar logo.
see: http://www.jimloy.com/geometry/golden.htm

That C Cab kicks butt...it looks perfect

#790 ·
AutoGear said:
You're mixing mathmatics here.
1.61x is the golden ratio or "phi" not Pi (which is 3.14x). Supposedly the Parthenon and many other historical rectangular things are based on this principal (including some historical US monuments, the Mona Lisa and the Great Pyramid). Devise a rectangle that can be split into unequal halves, one half being a perfect square, and the other half being proportional to the entire rectangle. That is the golden rectangle. It's interesting, and can be useful for things with 90* corners and the Pentastar logo.
see: http://www.jimloy.com/geometry/golden.htm

That C Cab kicks butt...it looks perfect

Thanks for the kind words.. :thumbup:

But what the H*** are y'all talking about ???? :drunk: :D :thumbup:

Man !!!! We are building cars here... :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

If I had to use what ever y'all talking about..... I would still be at the planning table.... :pain:

I do use a tape measure !!!! :p Does that count for something ???? :rolleyes: LOL :thumbup:

#792 ·
Sorry;

Ive been around the engineers too long I think.

There's a theory that says if you build a structure that uses the ratio of phi ("fi")1.61:1; it will be better looking. People cite this because several of the most famous buildings, songs, and paintings use this 'golden ratio'.

my favorite ratio was always 36-24-36 but whatever LOL

You do amazing work, your eye for proportion, lines and the ability to take something so complicated and strip it down and it still looks finished...is impressive. Its guys like you and Dewey that show what hot rodding is all about.

#793 ·
C-cab

AutoGear said:
Sorry;

There's a theory that says if you build a structure that uses the ratio of phi ("fi")1.61:1; it will be better looking. People cite this because several of the most famous buildings, songs, and paintings use this 'golden ratio'.

You do amazing work, your eye for proportion, lines and the ability to take something so complicated and strip it down and it still looks finished...is impressive. Its guys like you and Dewey that show what hot rodding is all about.
Randy I think they are going to send you a pie, for when you take a break' you can have some milk and pie. :mwink: :cool: :D :thumbup:

Bob

#794 ·
35terraplane said:
Randy I think they are going to send you a pie, for when you take a break' you can have some milk and pie. :mwink: :cool: :D :thumbup:

Bob

LOL !!! :thumbup:

I wonder if that has anything to do with this picture... :mwink: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Get it !!!!! PIE WAGON !!!!! :thumbup:

Attachments

#795 ·
AutoGear said:
Sorry;

Thanks.. :thumbup:

I do understand what your saying.. :D

I too have been around a lot of engineers...CHASSIS ENGINEERS !!!! If you read here you will see what I'm talking about... :D http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/making-willys-frame-148235.html?highlight=making+a+willys+frame

As far as I know now,, This frame is the home of a Blown fuel injected Big block... And it didn't break in half yet !!!!! :thumbup:

#798 ·
I know what you mean. Got my Poncho but have the donor car in the garage for the winter, to rip out what I need off of it. Plan on finally starting the Poncho this spring I should have my funds setup by then. Sure has taken a while to get this far with the economy like this.
I keep poking in on this thread to see how your doing, its a little "pick me up" for me. Your a lot further along than I am. ;)
Thanks

#799 ·
Two8tyThree said:
I know what you mean. Got my Poncho but have the donor car in the garage for the winter, to rip out what I need off of it. Plan on finally starting the Poncho this spring I should have my funds setup by then. Sure has taken a while to get this far with the economy like this.
I keep poking in on this thread to see how your doing, its a little "pick me up" for me. Your a lot further along than I am. ;)
Thanks
Thanks.... :thumbup:
I know what you mean about the funds.. :pain:
I have never seen days like these... But I won't stop believing for some good days to come.....

When I build and post these threads it's to help motivate people to believe in them self's to be able to over come their fears of trying something new..... I fight this myself and no one know's that but me.... Well now the world know's.. I'm glade to hear when people say I motivate them with what I show here....... That give's me some fuel also..... Sorry I haven't been able to do more and post more.... Believe me... It's killing me right now.... To just sit back and wait.. But it will come.... Again thanks to you guy's too..... Y'all keep the fire burning inside of me,,, Even when I start to see it go out... Thanks..