Hot Rod Forum banner

Building A Homemade C-cab !!!

606K views 1K replies 99 participants last post by  Richard D 
#1 ·
Well !!!! I started cutting the iron yesterday at around 4:eek:o .. :thumbup: This is going to be another homemade hot rod... I was going to keep this one behind the doors.. But why not let everyone see it in the making... It will not be built in 75 hours.. I will be taking this one ''ALL'' the way.. I aways thought the pizza wagon was so cool.. I was going to make one just like it, But decided to make it my own.. SOMETHING DIFFERENT.. The pizza wagon was done already.. Time for a new one.. I hope everyone enjoys the build and thread.. Feel free to speak up.. :thumbup: THE AMPS ARE NOW BURNING !!! :mwink:

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Mill
#2 ·
This is the body mocked up with wood... Wanted to see that everything will flow out right.. The body now can be taking down, And used as the pattern.. Cool way to cheak everything out before jumping in with both feet... I was undecided on doing it steel or glass.. I decided to go steel..

Attachments

#10 ·
Now it's time to fire up the heater, :sweat: the welder, And the RADIO !!! :mwink: And burn some more AMPS... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now we are having fun !!!!! :thumbup:

Never ''PUSH'' your dream's to the side... Build it while you have the chance too !! :thumbup:

#11 ·
You do realize you should put this on a video and book and sell it. All the people who come here asking about frames, there it is, there it is in a nutshell.

Brian

#12 ·
MARTINSR said:
You do realize you should put this on a video and book and sell it. All the people who come here asking about frames, there it is, there it is in a nutshell.

Brian

Thanks Brian... I have though about it.. But never was able too.. I started on the frame at 4 yesterday, My friend came to my shop at 7 last night.. :eek: Man you don't fool around.. :D I said I will build it as fast as my money will let.. I do have other things to do also.. I have been wanting to do one like this for a long time.. So why not now... I don't let the grass grow under my feet to long.. Having fun.. That's what its all about..

Being different !!!! :thumbup:

#14 ·
geezer69 said:
man,thats gona be a cool one!can you build that blonde to go with it?jk jk...lookin foward to seein it built!!you the man!i wish i could be a fly on the wall in your shop.you never cease to amaze me .

Thanks geezer69..It would be fun to have you here.. :D I'm Just having fun... Back to my old saying...

Never Set Limit's On Yourself.. :thumbup:

#15 ·
Even with the frame and the wood mock-up this is a beautiful build. I know don't just speak for myself when I say that you are burning rubber on this build! I can't wait to see the finished product.

btw, I'm feeling rather motivated right now to get off my butt and get to my stuff!

#16 ·
Valkyrie5.7 said:
Even with the frame and the wood mock-up this is a beautiful build. I know don't just speak for myself when I say that you are burning rubber on this build! I can't wait to see the finished product.

btw, I'm feeling rather motivated right now to get off my butt and get to my stuff!

Thanks.. I can't wait myself.. I put a lot of planning on this build.. And will take my time on this one.. I will be doing some custom metal work on this build..

You hit the nail right on the head when you said MOTIVATED !!!!

That's why I enjoy doing what I do.. And being able to post it here.. Thanks to Jon... The main goal here, Is to Motivate everyone.. ;)

#17 ·
And Randy, this could be valuable to anyone making a frame from scratch or even when completely redesigning an existing frame or body. My brothers Buick Roadster body had no framing what so ever (it was originally all wood and was completely rotted away to nothing) so the body and frame both which we started with 28' Chevy rails were close to starting from scratch. We did the exact same thing on the floor with chalk as you did.

Honestly, you don't need a video, with these photos and a write up you could sell that. You are not going to get rich but what the heck on ebay or something put it along with other parts or write ups like on the body and wham you sell a few and someone else gets to do something they had only dreamed of.

Brian

#19 ·
"COLD", you say!

NEW INTERIORS said:
Now it's time to fire up the heater, :sweat: the welder, And the RADIO !!! :mwink: And burn some more AMPS... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now we are having fun !!!!! :thumbup:

Never ''PUSH'' your dream's to the side... Build it while you have the chance too !! :thumbup:
Freezing Precipitation, thats a funny name for rain and 32 degrees. At least you picked a good time to do the heavy welding. :thumbup: Nolan

#20 ·
Those old C-cab show cars were really neat! I used to see them at the Midwestern shows in the '60s and '70s.

What I find interesting is that guys are starting to find the show car style inspirational again. We have a guy here in Tucson who just sold one that he built, and is already into another showrod project!

#21 ·
MARTINSR said:
And Randy, this could be valuable to anyone making a frame from scratch or even when completely redesigning an existing frame or body. My brothers Buick Roadster body had no framing what so ever (it was originally all wood and was completely rotted away to nothing) so the body and frame both which we started with 28' Chevy rails were close to starting from scratch. We did the exact same thing on the floor with chalk as you did.

Honestly, you don't need a video, with these photos and a write up you could sell that. You are not going to get rich but what the heck on ebay or something put it along with other parts or write ups like on the body and wham you sell a few and someone else gets to do something they had only dreamed of.

Brian

Brian.. The frames are not as bad to do as some make it out to be.. I have done a few now.. So it's nothing.. But some think it's hard to do.. The most important thing is planning... It was really easy planning this frame, With the body made with wood.. I laid it out on side of the body.. :D

#23 ·
TucsonJay said:
Those old C-cab show cars were really neat! I used to see them at the Midwestern shows in the '60s and '70s.

What I find interesting is that guys are starting to find the show car style inspirational again. We have a guy here in Tucson who just sold one that he built, and is already into another showrod project!

I wish they would all come back.. I'm so tired of going to the World of Wheels to see 2010 cars with wheels.. In my book, The world of wheels should be only custom built cars... ;)

#25 ·
NEW INTERIORS said:
Brian.. The frames are not as bad to do as some make it out to be..
You mean you don't need a JIG?

LOL, that is a running joke with my brother and I, so many think there is a "Jig" required for just about anything made from scratch.

My brother will say "WHAT, we don't need a jig"!!?

Brian

#26 ·
Randy, you set my imagination on fire as to themes that could be done with your basic layout, Roach Coach, Keystone Kops type of paddy wagon or SWAT team, Flower truck for funerals, blood mobile, book mobile, and on and on. You blow me away with your fab skills, it would take me a week to cut that plywood out! Awesome, keep us posted. Dan