building motor mounts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

building motor mounts

Installing a 460 in a Ranger chassis. 460 swap mounts for a Fox body Mustang will fit, but I'm about $100 to cheap out of the $160 price tag to buy them. I don't see where there worth it, and I think $60 worth of mixing and matching parts will get me where I need... The engine came out of a '75 Lincoln , and I have the saddle/ thru bolt mounts ( need replaced but there cheap ), which I'm thinking that I could use a solid motor mount for a Chevy ( Moroso 62515 ) as a frame mount, by bolting the mount to the crossmember, and connect that with a thru bolt to new '75 Lincoln passanger car mounts. I'll have to get the measurements of the Lincoln tomorrow... what is the diamater of the SBC saddle bolt?.. Any reason this won't work?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

Now have new lincoln mounts.. Frame mounting will hopefully be 1974 Plymouth Barracuda V8 mounts with the rubber isolaters cut off, leaving the stamped metal clamshell.. If they measure out, they will work fine, but there also dirt cheap so it was worth a shot.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:53 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you have the simple fabricating tools, motor mounts are easy. Just do some good measuring and use slightly larger than necessary holes to give you a little tweaking. I think the Chevy bolt in question is 7/16 dia grade 8. About 4 1/2 in long and 1 1/4 thread length. I use a self locking nut and don't overly torque them.

Trees
Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 AM

Last photo:

I can fabricate just about anything unless a lathe or mill is required. If the Barracuda mounts won't work as a frame mount I will fabricate a riser to fit the 460 thru bolt mounts.. I was able to figure out at the parts store, that the SBC thru bolt and the 460 thru bolt are the same 7/16" diamater, so the SBC Moreoso solid mounts would be perfect, but I'd like to use the local parts store.. The Barracuda mounts have a captive nut on the side that may be 7/16" also ( could be removed easy ), and they look like they will work once the rubber is cut off, but the parts store has no measurements and Jegs lists no data on the solid Moreoso version which is how I came across them
Old 08-11-2011, 12:11 AM

Last photo:

Plymouth mounts are perfect. There a little narrower than the 460 mounts, so it will need bushings/ spacers, but that also makes the engine setback adjustable.. Might need a riser to set the engine height correctly, but thats no big deal.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.