building a motorcyle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 06:33 PM
mini me

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

building a motorcyle

i love my 4-wheels but damn i can't afford it much longer the way gas prices keep rising. i'm still keep it though i don't care i love my car. i don't care how much gas prices rise even if that means i can only drive it on the weekends. i'll never get rid of 'ol girl

so i thaught i might build a motorcyle too, but of course being me i have to build it from the ground up and add a few more horses to it

i was just wondering if anybody built one before or should i say hotrodded one before? i mean c'mon how hard could it be?

J

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2005, 07:46 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

in the old days you could buy basket cases, and build you own,but they aren out there anymore
Old 09-04-2005, 08:06 PM
mini me

Last photo:

i just got off ebay. did you know they sell frames with titles?

i never knew that thats awesome

J
Old 09-13-2005, 07:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

If you want something that looks like a Harley, it's entirely possible to build one out of a catalog. Chopper, custom, stock, or even vintage. Catalogs such as "V-Twin", "Custom Chrome", and "Biker's Choice" will cover everything you need except a license plate, gas, and the air for the tires. Literally. Almost all new frames come with a "manufacturer's statement of origin" which you register with your state for a title just like any brand new vehicle.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

Well, yes, I've built a "couple" over the last 30 years....My first response is if you are not conversant on the intimate details of every thing from frames to crank pins to shifter barrels (Harleys here), unless you have a friend who is, do not mess with a basket case. You are likely buying somebody's worn out broken leftover mis-matched junk. Likewise, pieceing together a homebuilt from catalogs, while fun and exciting at first, grows old when you start getting to the endless nickle and dime parts you didn't realize you needed at the beginning. Plus the frustration of trying to match a myriad of parts from different manufacturers can drive you over the edge.
I will pass on to you the best advice an outlaw biker ever gave a skinny young wannabe (me) many years ago..."Buy a running bike, in good mechanical condition. It's got all it's parts and it runs. Don't buy someone else's chopper, it's already been f**ked with and you don't know it's history. Spend a while just riding and getting to know your bike and what you want from it. Then begin changing it to fit your desires, but take your time. You'll find your desires change as time goes by and you gain experience."
Sage advice ,I feel.
It's no different than car building....Just smaller, and typically simpler. But no less addicting.
John

Last edited by JPhil; 09-14-2005 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

yes I have built a couple also, and they ain't cheap. if you can't afford gas you probaly can't afford to build one. I love iron head sportys myself, and when you hotrod them the gas mileage ain't all that great. my pontiac sunfire gets better gas mileage than my sporty gets.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

I will testify to that as well.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

Have to agree with JPhil, get a working riding one first.
But if you insist on building one, google for chopper bike kits, or Motorcycle bike kits. alot of places are now offer the 'bike in a box' type of things. Yes I'm aware a certain company uses "bike in a box" for their kit bikes.
Going that route expect to spend I'd say 20k in it you might be able to bargain shop and do it for 10k but that's the cheapest I've heard. Without knowing people and what parts to look for.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:25 PM
mini me

Last photo:

ya over the last week or two i was thinking about just buying a cheepie for now

just for the gas mileage you know, but just cause i might ride a bike i still love my car

J
Old 09-16-2005, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

it's kinda like anything else, if you know the crowd that builds & rides bikes, you will know from there expertice what parts work together best, and that can be bought for the right price. and where to look 4 them. i'm talking frames, front ends, wheels, trannys, motors, seats, ect. plus do you want a old school or new school look ? i would like a chopper frame with a sprigner front end and wide rear tire & a knuckel head motor. the rest of the bike or all of it i would need to see the parts to know what i wanted. but this is true, Spend a while just riding and getting to know your bike and what you want from it. Then begin changing it to fit your desires, but take your time. You'll find your desires change as time goes by and you gain experience."
Old 09-17-2005, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

Not sure about your area. But around here you can usual score a late 70's to early 80's Jap standard for around 1k maybe less. If you don't have tons of exp. go that route, ride it, drop it (you will) fix it, and then sell it and start on your "dream" bike build.
I've got ones I prefer for price points, the kz750, cb750's IMO the yamaha's and suzki's from that timeframe tend to be more $. With a 750 you'd have plenty of power more esp. if you start hopping it up they really respond. Yet they are usually a great deal cheaper than their liter class brothers.
Also a semi-cult/ overlooked one is the honda vtwin from that time cx500's I think had one torquey lil some buck.
If something a bit newer is your taste. The Honda Nighthawk is a great bike they have a few electrical issues (rectifier if memory serves) and usually you can be on one of those for 2k ish.
Anything with Harley on it is gonna cost lots more, I for one will be happy when all the RUB's move on to something else.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:04 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

I love what "us enthusiast" on this forum will come up as an excuse to do something.

Haha. OK lets spend $$$$$$$ to build a bike which if you played your cards right and drove it everyday it might pay for its self in gas savings in........ uh..... about 252 years

I am not ragging on ya. Been there myself. You are among friends. Just say it (type it) to the board. My name is jesse01 and I am an addict.

rrmccabe says Hello Jesse1

everyone else say hello !
Old 09-17-2005, 05:28 PM
mini me

Last photo:

i drive alot of miles in a weeks time just to go back and forth from work. so it would pay for it's self in a few years if i were to get an "expensive" bike but for a cheepie it'll pay itself off even sooner

i seen a couple cheap hondas in the paper today i might go look at a few in a little while

J
Old 09-17-2005, 06:00 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

get a harley, and be a real man, just joking, harleys are finely kicking *** in pro stock drags
Old 09-17-2005, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Hello, Jesse! My name's John and I'm addicted.....

Gotta say, tho: In all true seriousness, if this is to be your first bike, you WILL crash. If you're lucky you won't get hurt, but.......
The world of traffic has changed from what it used to be.
But, dang, bikes can be so fun--they're about as pure as can be had--a man and his motor...late night highway, stars above, pipes singing......"L.A. Woman" rolling thru your head......

..sigh...

be cool, John

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.