Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Building a muffler
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Building a muffler

Hey guys,

I have a weird project and thought I would get some input. I am going to build a muffler for my wastegate dump on the S-10. It is open to atmosphere and makes it impossible to hear detonation when it opens while tuning so I am going to build a muffler.

I got some reducers and a small pipe from auto zone so that I can build a tiny little dynomax bullet style muffler. The question is with gas routing. I plan on drilling a bunch of holes in the inner tube to start. I have two ideas on what to do next: I can cut the inner tube a little short and plug it so that the gases will be forced to flow to the open chamber around the tube and then back through the holes and out...OR...I can pack the chamber with steel wool and just let it dampen the noise like the dynomax design.

Keep in mind this is not a real high flow application and the main goal is to make it more quiet. I am wanting to stick to the basic design because of packaging and looks. I looked for a lawnmower muffler, but they were ugly as hell.

Later,

Chris