Building my first engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006, 10:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Building my first engine

im building my first 350 chevy. does anyone know of a good website that explains step by step how to do this. im not stupid i know where the parts go, what they do, etc. but all this terminology...BAH!!!. ill never memorize all this giberish. so please if you know about a source that can help me out please let me know. or better yet what is another great way to learn? (besides throwing ANOTHER rod)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006, 08:22 AM
OldSchool MotorHead

Giberish you say? All that terminology is quite specific, and so is building an engine. An engine is not merely an assembly of parts like a Lego set. First, learn how the engine operates, and then you will understand how each part interacts with the other parts, and then you will understand how it all goes together. the shortest way would be to act as an assistant while someone in the know builds your engine, while he teaches you. No offense taken, and none meant in this reply.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, sometimes it's just as important to know what NOT to do.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:21 PM

im not stupid. i have 4 " block, 3.484 crank, piston rods, etc. i know what everything does. im not interested in turning out a hotrod engine but i felt like this would be a good place to start looking. does anyone know of a good site that i could go to. ill be honest i know how to build an engine. i just dont want to screw up witht the small stuff.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Your not making sense.

You have all the parts, you know where they go and what they bolt to, yet you are looking for answers to questions you already know?

OR

Are your saying you've read a thousand books and yet have to actually assemble anything? so all you know is theory? No practical experience?

I'm not getting what you want.

No where in any resource is there everything you need to know or know how to do it correctly. Find someone in the know so you can ask as many questions as needed. Oh wait, you have here on this board!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

I don't get it either,,,,You know all the "hard stuff" but you don't want to screw up the "small stuff". Nobody called you stupid, you mentioned in you post that "you don't want to throw ANOTHER rod" which leads me to believe that you are new, NEW, not stupid . Also, I know of a GREAT web site you can go for info,,,,,,if I could just remember the name.........OH YEAH!!!........It's www.hotrodders.com
Old 03-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Everything is HAMMER!

Last photo:

I'd just like to say, I am in the process of building my first engine(a 350 also), and i thought i knew everything there was, i mean i was darn near certaing i could take it on by myself. Little did i know i screwed up even just taking it apart, i had no idea that their was a ridge developed from regular wear and that it could damage the pistons. I still am learning, thankfully my tech instructor is usually helping me tear it apart.And reassemble it. Theirs just too much stuff to type it on here. Your best bet is to find somebody who knows what their doing, if you can't do that buy some literature on small block chevy engine rebuilding.

BTW, he said he's not interested in turning out a hot rod engine, he wasn't worried about throwing another rod.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:03 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

i would buy a couple of books on engine building, first thing , make shore block is very clean inside, oil holes and all
Old 03-06-2006, 06:04 PM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

I went to Barnes and Noble ans bought a few books from there. There are plenty to choose from. I first read "How to rebuild your Small Block Chevy", then once I knew the book inside and out I bought "How to Hot Rod your Small Block Chevy". Both are very good books. What was not covered in the book, I just asked here. Good luck. It is not hard, just take your time and double check everything. One of the most important things that gets overlooked is HAVE A CLEAN AREA TO WORK. Engines don't like dirt. Dirt is bad.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Here ya go

An engine building DVD

http://www.boxwrench.net/index.htm
Old 03-07-2006, 09:32 PM

One of the better books is "How to Rebuild Yor Small Block Chevy" by David Vizard. It touches on alot of things overlooked by a lot of Hot Rod books.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:48 PM
always the hard way...

Last photo:

i read/searched the forums here first, to answer the obvious ques,that took about 2-3 months,(worth every damn minute,too)then i became a member to ask the questions i did not find answers to.or at least ask to see what others had to say,good or bad.not to mention any names,there are forums that deal w/my specific "project",but these guys(or gals)here at hotrodders are cool people and are all bout' you gettin' your ride/engine,etc where you want it.READ,ASK,RESEARCH.that is what hotroddin' is all about,RODDERS HELPING RODDERS

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.