Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Building new garage/shop
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2003, 11:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Building your own garage - here are a few tips from someone who has done it

I designed and built my own garage several years ago. I agree with the other posts. One of the best things I did was to get some stakes and string and mock up the garage in the back yard with that. Drive your car in there and visualize where your workbench, doors, etc will be. I built mine 24 feet wide which is just right for the car and work bench considerations. Another thing I did was putting an electrical outlet every 4 feet about 6 feet high from the floor. When you fill you garage with junk, you can still get to your outlets. Another time saver was to put the work bench the entire length of the garage so you can lay your tools and parts down while you are working on the motor. Directly above the workbench, I have a string of individual trays to put the nuts, bolts, etc in all layed out where you can see them without opening and closing drawers on those bolt organizer boxes. Saves a lot of time. Also put up pegboard right behind the workbench, and hang your most often used tools up there. Big time saver. Another thing is security. In our area theaves would target a detatched garage. They would break in late at night, you would never hear them, and they would make off with all your tools. Plan on putting in some type of security system before you move your valuables in. When you have your concrete pored, use the fibered concrete in conjunction with the wire re-enforcement to keep the cracking down to a minimum. If the building code will not let you build the 12 foot high ceiling, consider digging a pit deep enough to stand up in and work on the car.