Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Building new garage/shop
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003, 09:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

A few years back I moved to a new location and was forced to leave my 30x40 w/10'walls metal shop. I moved to a neighborhood where I did not have the room to put this size shop again. I built a wood shop, 24x30 w/8' walls. I hope to someday install another 20' on the end making it a 24x50. This time, the newly added walls will be 10' at least. I have a 2 post lift in my shop and am able to use it because of the cathedral trusses I used when I built it. I have an "I beam" running the 30' length of my building, so I had to order the symmetrical two post lift. I use this lift, which lifts the bottom of the frame to a 6' height, for my '40 Buick coupe, '01 300M Chrysler, and my 92 Silverado. It is a 9000lb lift and I ordered it off the 'net at Lifts.com for $2100 delivered to my door. I have no problems working with my vehicles in my shop, and have lifted several other vehicles. I had a bit of trouble with a '48 Chevy Suburban, it couldn't be lifted to the max because the back of the cab would have hit my ceiling. But anything other than a minivan or something with a long cab like that will work OK. I would prefer an extra two feet in height or be able to turn my lift the long way in the shop,(cant because of door location)either one of these suggestions would solve my height problem. I tend to agree with most everyone else, build as big as you can afford and have enough room for. There are several metal "kits" on the market if you have inclination to do it yourself. That's what I did the first time. It's not all that hard to do, just like an Erector Set and requires very few specialty tools. No cutting, no welding, all bolted and screwed together. Two guys can do it without too much trouble, especially if you have a tractor to help do a little lifting with. Hope this helps some, PACO