Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Building a new motor for my friends truck

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Rineholio 
#1 ·
Ok guys, we are building a new motor to replace the stockish 350 in my buddies 86 chevy truck. Here's what we have gathered up so far:

88 chevy block with hyd roller set-up
scat 9000 crank
scat 4340 I-beam rods
.020 speed pro hyper flat tops
650 DP holley
Ported RPM Air-gap intake
aluminum roller rockers
ARP main studs
MSD 6AL with Blaster-2
freshly rebuilt 350 turbo, 2500 stall converter

he is getting a set of the pro comp aluminum heads with a 64cc chamber, (his choice), I'm charged with the duty of finding a cam. I was thinking Howards 180255-12, 180255 Max Torque

2000-5600

.510/.533

adv 288°/294°

@.050 232°/236°

lobe sep 112°

the truck has 3.42 gears with a posi, and will be a 99% street truck for now. Any suggestions are appreciated, I'm trying to talk him into better heads, but he's kinda set on them.

See less See more
#4 ·
I use dart Al. heads on my engine and like them.
What size or flow are you considering?There seems to be a lot of heads that flow 230 ish CFM that would be great heads for street use. I like to see 75-80 intake to exhaust ratio so you know the iron eagles need to be cleaned up a little on the exhaust side. Then you can use a small or tight cam for more bottom end and mid range and still have enough flow to make a little power.Trucks need torque.

#8 ·
Providing the heads are from a reputable supplier id use them. I've been toying with buying a set myself. A lot of pros are selling them as an entry level head and they do pretty well for the price. They're best off with about 10:1 compression, .500"+ lift and 230-240 duration on the intake, a "hot street" head of sorts.

If you want a smaller cam id also get smaller heads, these are good for a power peak around 6,000 rpm.

#7 ·
They do have a set of 190's as well, I'm still learning how to pick a proper set of heads. But talking him into them shouldn't be too hard. I got the duty of picking the cam (and pretty much the rotating assembly) because he doesn't know much about the aftermarket stuff available. His current motor is a stock 350 with a ported set of stock GM open chambers with 1.94 intake and 1.50 ex, with an autozone RV cam, old performer intake and a 600 holley, and it's probably the strongest motor that's ever been in that truck. Hopefully this motor will motivate the truck a bit better.

#11 ·
If you used a vortec head that was modified like what scoggin dickey does,or e tec, dart iron eagle ported,etc,,, or the deluxe 180 AFR and a tiny 510 lift roller hydraulic,good intake,smalll (650) carb,all like the parts you originally posted,then wow. You will add 100 plus horses over what he had and the increase in power will be everywhere in the rpm band.No gear changes required and no big convertors needed

#12 ·
3.42 gear isn't that much gear, especially on a heavy truck with taller tires. So, I don't think you should use a cam that big. Plus the 2500 stall isn't helping either.

How tall are the tires?

I'm thinking a cam between 210 and 220 degrees of duration at 0.050" would be about it for a 350 in a truck with 3.42 gears.

4.11 gears and a 3000 stall would be a much better choice for your engine build. I hate to say it, but the setup he has now is better than what you are building now for his truck.

So, it is either a bigger engine (406), or stay with the 350 and add more gear and stall and use the big cam.

#13 ·
Well fellas, as usual in my garage things have changed again. We're still building a 350 for the truck. He ended up going with a Comp 294s solid lift cam. He also ended up buying a set of Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads. I believe they are the G1's. I know there are some draw backs to these heads. He's also switching to a 700-R4, 3.73 rear, with a 3000 stall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.