Building a "new" school project - licensing/inspection question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Drop and Drag It

Wiki Edits: 0

Building a "new" school project - licensing/inspection question

Hey there. So I am building a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd std. cab. I plan to have it on air suspesnsion, fully shaved and painted. I was planning to put a 4cyl back into this truck cuz i got it without an engine, tranny, ecu, and some other lil electrical things. I figured it would be cooler and easier (probably not) to just go all out by throwing a 350 in it and doing a custom dash/gauges.

I was wondering if running a carb'd 350 and not having to worry about all that wiring crap (tell me if I am missing anything, i'm a noob at engines) that I won't have to worry about having to have what is missing in my truck, cuz I don't know exactly what engine components it had.

My main thing is, what do I do about inspection with the State Patrol and emissions? how do all the hot rodders drive their cars around and get away with it? Other than a special permit I am guessing? I live in the state of WA if anyone could help me?

So mainly, my main question is, can I get my truck passed and inspected with a 350 in it from our state patrol? Again I am in WA state. I tried looking on their website for info but I had no idea where to start. Would it be helpful calling them and talking to them about the guidelines?

I also tried searching for this question and i found one that was kind of like the one I am asking but didn't see much hope in that thread. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by Sittin Pretti; 02-28-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006, 08:01 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

Not 100% sure on your state but in most, the year of the engine does not matter, it is the year of the vehicle, so your 2000 would be applicable to all emissions stuff for that year.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Drop and Drag It

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolrods
Not 100% sure on your state but in most, the year of the engine does not matter, it is the year of the vehicle, so your 2000 would be applicable to all emissions stuff for that year.
So are you saying that as long as it passes emissions, I am ok? or no?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Drop and Drag It

also I heard from 96 and up, or it was 98 and up vehicles, they don't have to put that thingy into your tailpipe to test smog, but instead just plug something into something under your dash? ugh this stuff makes me confused. I just want to build my ride how I want it!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:28 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

I believe it is 96 and up they use the OBD-II diagnostic system for emissions test.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Check your local regs as there are certain areas subject to emissions inspcetions and others are not..Dept of ecology runs that not the state patrol..so you need to look there for info..

OMT
Old 02-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Drop and Drag It

well poopy day I say. I know in the area I am in, emissions is required. There are counties that get away with no emissions but I don't want to send my title to a place in that county. Anywho, I think I am gonna go with my stock motor, cuz I want to license this thing AND drive it, I don't want a trailer queen thanks for the help anyways guys! I'll stick around still!
Old 02-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Did some checking

If your vehicle is over 25 years old you will not likely need to have emissions tested...sooo find a pre 84 car or truck to build and you may be out of the woods..At least what I read here This Place

OMT
Old 03-01-2006, 12:46 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

personally, i would recommend the supra / is300 engine, the 2JZGE

in the supra they came NA and turbo, in the lexus is300 they came NA

in both cases they are available with either an auto, or a manual tranny

this takes care of a few things:

1) its Toyota in Toyota, meaning it will get less questions during inspection
2) it follows the main rule of engine swaps, that teh engine has to be same year or newer then the chassis
3) the vehicle will pass all needed smog tests, because the engine was designed to comply with the laws set forth for the truck you have

it also leaves you with a HUGE aftermarket support, and you can upgrade the truck to be as powerful as you want .... 2000hp has been done with upgraded versions of this engine

us tuner guys get away with engine swaps for a number of reasons, and theses are the reasons in NY

1) the cops dont check under the hood, ive never ben pulled over and had a cop ask to see my engine
2) ive never had a cop ask if i had a converter on the car
3) no inspection shop bothers to tap on teh converter to make sure its not hallow
4) its possible to modify a cars ECU to the point that even if it knows somethings wrong, it wrong report it, meaning in some cases we can remove the second O2 sensor and teh programing that goes with it, and the dash will never show a check engine light
5) its possible to trick an ecu into thinking the cars exhaust is "normal" using o2 sensor sims

it really comes down to a matter of "anything you can do i can do better" ... they can legislate anything they want, but when you build 100,000 of a certain model car, there aer going to be 10,000 people working in their garages to reverse engineer anything thats been done ....
Old 03-01-2006, 06:06 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

In general, for cars requiring inspections (usually meaning less than 20-25 years old, depending on state), you can change engines but it has to be the year of the body or newer. Some states don't mind if it's a different manufacturer, but as mentioned, same manufacturer will get less eyebrows raised (they don't look as hard). Regardless of manufacturer, the engine will have to have ALL emissions equipment that it came with the year of manufacture and pass all emissions for that year. So if you put a 2004 Chevy crate motor in it would have to pass all emissions for a similar vehicle -- a Chevy pickup in this case. That's important -- trucks have a little less stringent requirements than cars. In some states they will ask waht the engine came from and use that as the basis for testing though. So if you put a 2001 Chevy Caprice engine in they'd test it to car standards, not truck.

But for the final word, contact the local DMV and/or testing station. They will be able to advicse you. I'd go to the station that will be testing the vehicle. They'll remember you, and as long as you are cordial and make it obvious you want to do things to their standards, they should be helpful and maybe a little less strict when you do come in.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.