Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Building Rat Rod with 1951 Chevy Frame
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 11:42 PM

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Last journal entry: Bell Crank Fix
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

First Rat

Hey,
So this is my first post, and my first rat rod project. I have 3 1951 Chevy Stylelines sitting in my driveway. 2 four doors and a 2 door. One 4 door is gonna be a factory resto, I haven't determined the fate of the 2 door yet, and I want to use the frame of the second 4 door to build a rat rod.

The main thing I want to know is if this is a good choice. I know that many people will tell you that you can do whatever you want when building a rat, since it's somewhat of a compilation of parts, but I'm looking for any advice as to whether or not I should find a "better" frame or if the 51 would be a good option.

A friend of mine has a mid 80s cougar he is giving me. It has an 8.8 rearend. Everyone says I should go with a 9", but I'm not really planning on building this for racing. Ive got a 350 I'm gonna put in it, it will be slightly modified, but I don't expect anything more than 400 horses from it. I'm looking more at the lower 300 range. Would this be a good rearend to use? Should I just use the entire running gear from the cougar? I'm open to any advice/opinions you have. This is my first rod. Any info helps. Thanks!

Last edited by klutchmaster427; 06-09-2009 at 11:26 AM.