Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Building Trailer Wire Test Box Couple Questions.
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990chevytruck
Hey I work in the trailer industry as a design Engineer and I can tell you there is a lot easier way to do this than a hand truck. unless you are going to be testing 30 to 40 trailers a day you can build one like the ones Croft trailer supplies make in a tool box and use a break a way battary to run the entire thing. Here is a link to see what Crofts box look like http://www.crofttrailer.com/site/pro...1/details.html
we use this type of box on almost every trailer we make. this system is set up with a in line fuse for each companant you will test. they are cheaper than the circut breakers if you are only going to be using it every once in a while. they mount a 4 way, 6 way and a 7 way plug in the end of thiers with a ground plate on the backside of them. I hope this helps. If you would like me to go into greater details I can just buzz me on here and let me know!

Mike Edwards
Big Tex Trailers
Engineering/Design/Warranty

Sticker shock. Not that i would have much less in my idea though.

The way i see it is that we will be using this very often. And as i stated, its going to be used for testing much more than trailer plugs. Being able to test weather pack connectors will increase its use substantially as we are always dealing with them.

Im ditching the idea of an ammeter for outgoing power, but if its cheap enough would still probably put a voltmeter on just so I know where the battery is at.

Still wondering what to do on the incoming power though. Do i just send every wire to the gauge itself from each circuit? For some reason that doesnt seem like it would work but again i dont know electrical theory very well.

Ive also contemplated the idea of adding leads to use for testing starters.