building up my 8.2 rear end - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

building up my 8.2 rear end

id first id like to say i know a 8.2 aint the best rear end to build up. but its what i got and im on a budget so i cant up and by a 12 bolt an all that. plus i already have the 10 bolt . that being said. . .

its a 10 bolt 8.2 with 28 spline axles, 2.56 gears, with an open case (one tire fire as i like to call it). my plan for it is to put 3.55 gears in it with a powertrax no slip locker but im stuck on which axles to get. im looking at one of these 2 axles. . . http://store.summitracing.com/compar...4294901307+115 i have no clue which is stronger or if there is really any big difference between the 2. im building the rear end for my elky. its got a 350sbc with somewhere around 380hp. shes not gonna be a drag car but i would like it to be able to hold the stress and a bit of abuse. i have a high performance 350th and its a firm shifting beast. i just know the rear end cant take much more.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 08:35 PM

Last journal entry: a few more pics of my pro street 66 C10
Last photo:

been there done that

I have been right where you are, always seemed to me the spider gears were the first thing to go and on one ocassion the c clip came off the axles so I got to experience seeing my rear wheels pass me. I had considered the same thing you are right now but if your on a budget it seems your going the expensive way. 9" ford rears are easy to find and generally cheap or even a 12 bolt probably would'nt cost much more. I know where a elky like yours with a 12 bolt in it is for $1200.00 I dont know where you are but if you found a deal like that you may buy it keep the rear part the rest and come out on it. lots of different ways you can go but personally I would give serious thought to whether it was worth spending that much on an 8.2 although I know 12 bolts are not always easy to find. best of luck and if your 8.2 decides to go down on you I have one behind the garage that you can have for free unless thats too much...lol
Old 02-20-2008, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

ive been trying to find a 12 bolt around here and there are none to be found. unless i buy it new all built up for $2,500. i figure its lasted 38yrs of abuse and its still holding up. so if i build it right the first time. . . it will hold the extra power and a hard shifting tranny just fine.

id like to buy the axles and the locker learn how to put that stuff in. then buy the gears and take it to a trusted shop i know of and have them put in the gears. because i dont wanna deal with backlash and all that perfect thousandth of an inch stuff. but im not sure just yet. but i do know if i take it to the shop for them to do it all then i wanna buy the stuff i want. not what the shop has or can get.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 PM

Last journal entry: a few more pics of my pro street 66 C10
Last photo:

Re: 8.2

I can understand that, $2500 is pretty expensive for a 12 bolt. I had considered what you are right now and thought the same thing I just got lucky and found what I was looking for. I think you may be right, the 8.2 after being upgraded may be plenty strong. Let me know how it turns out and good luck.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

The bearings are small, the pinion stem is small, the diff gears and pin are small. There is not much you can do to really increase the strength other than running radial tires with plenty of air. No traction = no problem. Wheel hop is a killer.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

If you're not using slicks or a trans-brake you shouldn't have to replace your 8.2" rear, just be sure it's in it's best possible shape.

Whatever you use, get the axle tubes welded to the center section, and make sure the spring and/or control arm mounting points are securely welded in place.

Aftermarket axles such as the Moser stock replacements are good if your old ones are suspect, and the C-clip types are plenty strong for street use. C-clip eliminator kits are prone to leaking, anyway.

You might also look into a reinforced cover, AKA rear end girdle, if you really need the ultimate in strength.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
If you're not using slicks or a trans-brake you shouldn't have to replace your 8.2" rear, just be sure it's in it's best possible shape.

Whatever you use, get the axle tubes welded to the center section, and make sure the spring and/or control arm mounting points are securely welded in place.

Aftermarket axles such as the Moser stock replacements are good if your old ones are suspect, and the C-clip types are plenty strong for street use. C-clip eliminator kits are prone to leaking, anyway.

You might also look into a reinforced cover, AKA rear end girdle, if you really need the ultimate in strength.

right now i have cheapo tires but ill be buying bf goodrich radial t/a tires. you say get the axle tubes welded to the center section. . . can i do that myself with a lincon electronics pro core 100??? what is a good reinforced cover or should i say what do you recommend. my parts list im thinking about is powertrax no slip locker richmond gears (3.55) and chromemoly superior axles. im thinking that will be plenty strong for the power ill be pushing in the future (450hp) with a hard shifting 350th.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

The axle tubes are pressed in at the factory, and they will slip around if you beat on them much, causing squirrelly handling and leaks. I can't vouch for your welding skills, only my own, which produce a result that resembles at best a magnetic hot-glue job. I had an old guy who owned a welding shop do mine.

As far as the rear end girdle, one such as the TA Performance #1807 fits both the 8.2" and the 8.5" rears. Summit and Jegs offer copies of the TA part for a little less money.

http://www.taperformance.com/rearend.htm
Old 02-25-2008, 11:29 PM

Last photo:

im a little rusty on my welding skills but i love it. i just havent done it in awhile. id practice on some steel first b4 i weld it up. thanks for your help

Frankenstein
Old 02-26-2008, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

You can get a 9 inch housing with brackets etc. and axles minus gears and brakes from jr motorsports for $715.00 you can probably pick up a chunk with 3.55 gears for around $50.00 now granted you won't likely get a locker for that price but you might get a posi out of a truck.It also comes drilled for the gm wheel pattern, get the economy disc brake kit for 200.00.So for about a grand you can have a 9 inch that will be far stronger than the 8.2.

Last edited by barnym17; 02-26-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-26-2008, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
You can get a 9 inch housing with brackets etc. and axles minus gears and brakes from jr motorsports for $715.00 you can probably pick up a chunk with 3.55 gears for around $50.00 now granted you won't likely get a locker for that price but you might get a posi out of a truck.It also comes drilled for the gm wheel pattern, get the economy disc brake kit for 200.00.So for about a grand you can have a 9 inch that will be far stronger than the 8.2.

i was thinking about doing that. only buying the 9" from chassisworks and then building a 3rd member the way i want or just buying a pre built one and upgrade to the locker when i want. i was thinking the 9" housing is around 700 the 3rd member pre built is around 1000 and then a good set of axles for 400. putting me way stronger then the 12 bolt and far cheaper in the long run. because i can do all the work on the 9" because i would by the pre built 3rd member. with this 10 bolt i have or the if i was to buy a 12 bolt id have to take it to the shop for them to do the gears. i called and did some research on the 10 bolt and for them to build it my way would run me 2600 done out the door. and if i do the 9" i do all the work just buying parts would run me right around 2400. and its far FAR stronger. so i think im sold on the 9" from chassisworks.now i just gotta save up for it.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

you can get a decent prebuilt 3rd member for around 400.00 at speedway motors.Now this will be spool or mini spool so add the price of a posi or locker to this. it would still be less $
Old 02-27-2008, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
you can get a decent prebuilt 3rd member for around 400.00 at speedway motors.Now this will be spool or mini spool so add the price of a posi or locker to this. it would still be less $

oh ok cool. i would definitely buy the locker and toss the spool my buddy has a spool on the street 100% street no strip. i told him its not safe but he thinks hes knows it all and then some.

how about this??? if i was to buy the locker for the 8.2 with 28 spline axles could i use it in the 3rd member or is it a totally different set up??? im not good with fords so i dont know if its a different set up or not.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

no they make one just for the ford about the same price in the jegs catolog.You can get the center section for 21 or 31 spline same money.I beleive the axle housing has this option as well and it would be stronger yet.That way you buy what you need one time and if you upgrade in the power department no worries.( 9inch is pretty easy to setup compared to the gm rearends no case spreaders etc, needed.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Money pit

Last photo:

We have a 8.2 in our 54' Panel, 468 BBC Th400, runs flat 8s in an 1/8th. 3.42 gear, mastercraft street tires. Find a locker, a good gear, and run it. If you get fast enough, then start worrying about the axles. We're at the point now, if we were to run a slick, we'd break an axle for sure because the weight of the vehicle. Aftermarket axles are very good insurance though.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.