building a wcfb 2x4 setup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

building a wcfb 2x4 setup

I was wondering what the best way to build a 2x4 setup using Carter WCFBs would be. Can I use a couple of single setups that are close to the same CFM and lose the choke on one. And put the same internals in both. or does it have to be a true 2x4 setup?

Thanks for enlightening me.......

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 PM

Use edelbrocks on an edelbrock manifold? Your question is vague?
If you have WCFBs they work,so do strombergs?
what are you making and what do you have?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

You will need some carburetor experience to pull it off.

Basic is =match cfm closely. Usually choke and idle circuits on rear carb. Have jetting available. Progressive linkage fabrication can be tricky.

Back in the day I did several for customers. But haven't worked on W-white C-cast F-four B-barrel in many years. Last one was a old Cadillac in a boat.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 PM

Im going to use an old weiand intake made for wcfb's or 4gc's. I dont remember the number right off hand. Im going for the older look more than the performance. Although i think this will perform just fine. I dont want the edlebrocks or AFB's. Its going on a '58 283/manual tranny. I have a wcfb off a 348.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

I always liked the looks of a WCFB over the Rochester. Ran them on a nailhead T bucket and a 47 Merc back in the 60's.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 PM

Will Carter Four Barrel
wrought cast four barrel
many rumours as to what?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
You will need some carburetor experience to pull it off.

Basic is =match cfm closely. Usually choke and idle circuits on rear carb. Have jetting available. Progressive linkage fabrication can be tricky.

Back in the day I did several for customers. But haven't worked on W-white C-cast F-four B-barrel in many years. Last one was a old Cadillac in a boat.
W C F B = Will Carter Four Barrel

I ran two Holley #4224 660 CFM "center squirter" 4-barrels on a 455 Pontiac engine using with a Offy manifold and straight linkage. The engine idled and ran off all eight barrels and did not have but one problem in my '55 Chevy. The only problem was that I kept blowing the stock rear ends.

I cannot see why there would be a problem using single 4-barrel Carter WCFB carbs with straight linkage. The 1957 Chevrolet 2x4 set up would be better if you can find one without having to mortgage your home. My associate ran two single 4-barrel Rochester AFBs with idle circuits on his 1961 Pontiac Ventura 421 SD and did not seem to have any problems.

Last edited by MouseFink; 03-13-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:17 PM

With the price of true dual quad carbs being what it is ($$$$$$$$$$), most guys do build their own setups. BUT, the air valve weight is much smaller on true dual quad carbs, and that affects how the secondaries open, if at all. You can make it look the part, I am doing the same thing. I also have an old Weiand intake that will take the WCFB/4 jets/AFB carbs. With the stock Chevrolet intakes, you're limited to the WCFB due to the size of the carb bores on the intakes; although an AFB will bolt on, the butterflies won't open unless an adapter is used. AND, WCFB is "White Cast Four Barrel", at least that's what I was taught (?). Butch/junior stocker.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61unibody View Post
Im going to use an old weiand intake made for wcfb's or 4gc's. I dont remember the number right off hand. Im going for the older look more than the performance. Although i think this will perform just fine. I dont want the edlebrocks or AFB's. Its going on a '58 283/manual tranny. I have a wcfb off a 348.
Try Chevy Classic International 55-57 chevy parts in Orlando Fla OR Late and Great Chevy 58-64 chevy thet ere the same people,they have factory rebuild kits for your carbs for 2x4 so they will be same as what came on the 283 ,they also sell used parts ,body parts engine what ever you need ,you will have to join the club to purchace at discounted price ,well worth it I sold my 55s so I am not a member now ,Check it out ,hope this helps ,,they will also have progressive linkage fuel blocks etc,
Old 04-25-2013, 08:38 PM

wcfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior stocker View Post
With the price of true dual quad carbs being what it is ($$$$$$$$$$), most guys do build their own setups. BUT, the air valve weight is much smaller on true dual quad carbs, and that affects how the secondaries open, if at all. You can make it look the part, I am doing the same thing. I also have an old Weiand intake that will take the WCFB/4 jets/AFB carbs. With the stock Chevrolet intakes, you're limited to the WCFB due to the size of the carb bores on the intakes; although an AFB will bolt on, the butterflies won't open unless an adapter is used. AND, WCFB is "White Cast Four Barrel", at least that's what I was taught (?). Butch/junior stocker.
wcfb= will carter four barrel
Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 AM

William C. Carter was born in Union City Tennessee in 1884. He only had 5-years of formal education and in 1909, he founded the Carter Carburetor Manufacturing Co in St. Louis. Will Carter introduced the world's first 4-barrel carburetor, the WCFB (Will Carter Four Barrel) which raised air-flow to unprecedented levels.

In 1957, the Carter AFB (Aluminum Four Barrel) was introduced which offered even higher flow levels. The Carter AFB was first used on 1957 Ford engines. GM started using the Rochester 4-barrel in 1957 and the Carter AFB in 1962.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.