Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Building a Website
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 06:47 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Building a Website

For anyone who has built his/her own website(s), you will fully understand and appreciate what I am about to say. I’m not talking about using someone’s preformed template that comes with all the annoying pop-up ads, but starting from scratch. Most of us just click on our “Favorites” link and cruise around Hotrodders.com without a second thought about just how awesome it really is. I’m not talking about the content of the discussions (which is awesome in itself), but I mean the mechanics of the site, its inner workings.

I originally built my car website using Mircosoft’s Front Page Express which I downloaded free of the internet. Then I discovered that my 2003 version of Mircosoft’s Word works just as well for building a basic website, and actually gives me a few more options. So, as a General Contractor, I can write letters during the day to my subs and suppliers on just how much I appreciate their hard work (note the hint of sarcasm - lol), and work on my websites at night and on the weekends.

After building my car website (www.edgesz28.com) and my church website (www.pontiacfbc.com), I have been working on a website for my friend Benny Gordon (www.bennygordon.us). He drives the #66 Predator Performance Ford in the Hooter’s USAR ProCup Northern Series. This series runs cars very much like NASCAR’s Busch Series. They are having the first of five races for the championship title this Saturday in Jennerstown, PA. As the Northern Series Champion, Benny is starting tied for first place with the Southern Series Champion.

Anyway, knowing what it took to build and maintain my simple websites, it just blows my mind to think of what Jon had to do to build this site and keep it maintained. All of the features - polls, photo uploading, searches, project journals, spell check, etc. It is just mind boggling! For me, I feel like I am on my bicycle and Jon is piloting the space shuttle.

I just want to say “thank you” to Jon for building and maintaining this site. I have seen nothing else like it on the web. This site has been and is a means for solving many, many problems for all the DIY people and probably some seasoned mechanics. We should all be grateful for this every time we log on. Ed.

Last edited by edge; 09-24-2004 at 07:00 AM.