Building a Website - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 06:47 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Building a Website

For anyone who has built his/her own website(s), you will fully understand and appreciate what I am about to say. I’m not talking about using someone’s preformed template that comes with all the annoying pop-up ads, but starting from scratch. Most of us just click on our “Favorites” link and cruise around Hotrodders.com without a second thought about just how awesome it really is. I’m not talking about the content of the discussions (which is awesome in itself), but I mean the mechanics of the site, its inner workings.

I originally built my car website using Mircosoft’s Front Page Express which I downloaded free of the internet. Then I discovered that my 2003 version of Mircosoft’s Word works just as well for building a basic website, and actually gives me a few more options. So, as a General Contractor, I can write letters during the day to my subs and suppliers on just how much I appreciate their hard work (note the hint of sarcasm - lol), and work on my websites at night and on the weekends.

After building my car website (www.edgesz28.com) and my church website (www.pontiacfbc.com), I have been working on a website for my friend Benny Gordon (www.bennygordon.us). He drives the #66 Predator Performance Ford in the Hooter’s USAR ProCup Northern Series. This series runs cars very much like NASCAR’s Busch Series. They are having the first of five races for the championship title this Saturday in Jennerstown, PA. As the Northern Series Champion, Benny is starting tied for first place with the Southern Series Champion.

Anyway, knowing what it took to build and maintain my simple websites, it just blows my mind to think of what Jon had to do to build this site and keep it maintained. All of the features - polls, photo uploading, searches, project journals, spell check, etc. It is just mind boggling! For me, I feel like I am on my bicycle and Jon is piloting the space shuttle.

I just want to say “thank you” to Jon for building and maintaining this site. I have seen nothing else like it on the web. This site has been and is a means for solving many, many problems for all the DIY people and probably some seasoned mechanics. We should all be grateful for this every time we log on. Ed.

Advertisement

Last edited by edge; 09-24-2004 at 07:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2004, 12:16 PM
il enforcer

We use Coffee Cup HTML Editor. It is inexpensive and works well.

I know people that build websites that have their clients fooled into believing it is a black art of sorts. Thus they can charge 100 bucks to change a phone number or the hours of operation which take maybe 2 minutes to do.

My wife built our initial web site in less than 8 hours. That included much time for brainstorming. We had quotes for up to 12K or so for someone else to do it. Nice hourly rate eh?
Old 09-24-2004, 12:57 PM

Yeah it's amazing how much work people can put into a web page.

I built http://cyberunixfu.tk about a year ago and it's just something simple I coded to have a place to call home.

I can totally appreciate a well designed web site.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:01 PM
www.project-quicksilver.com

Last journal entry: Updated photos
Last photo:

I created mine from scratch. www.project-quicksilver.com. It has grown quite a bit over the past 3 years. None of the cookie cutter templates fit my needs.

I also redesigned my car clubs site www.mdcamaroclub.com. They had a free hosting site on Hemmings.com, but it didn't allow for much space for pictures or advanced features like a database. It does take a lot of work... I probably spend 8 hours a week maintaining the two sites... which doesn't leave much room for actually building my car

Old 06-11-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:

Yes, it's quite strange how easy it is to overlook the amount of work it sometimes takes to build a site.

I also created mine from scratch: www.reefstreetrodclub.za.org

The site was done in ASP.NET and most of the content is dynamic, meaning I just need to add data to the database to make it appear on the relevant pages. For that I have written a few web-services with their respective client applications with which I manage the content. For example: to upload a new event gallery I import it into the database on my pc with one app, re-order the images with another and upload it to the site via a web-service using a third app.

On the site I have also written my own project journal section simular to what we have here but it's only available to our club's members.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:59 PM

I did mine from scratch as well using text edit, and then ran it through dream weaver to validate the xhtml strick.

http://www.couatldesign.com.

Not much of a page, but it shows how simple design can be, yet how tight and formed the code can end up being. The fully dynamic and expansive pages or those that are fancy and cross platform tend to have many many lines of code and are very complex to edit, so in some cases $100 to change a phone number could be totally legitimate because it could involve SQL database changes, and PHP access call modifications.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.