Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Built 350-Timing Set Question.
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnloud View Post
Bare with me as I'm not a motor expert of any kind I just love hot rods, but why would you not put built and hydraulic flat tappet in the same sentence?

I do understand roller cams are better and also more expensive, but I think there are plenty of nice street rods with hydraulic flat tappets.
And there are a whole bunch of guys who will readily agree w/you.

Attention to detail used to be enough. But now a big problem w/flat tappet cams is the influx of poor quality cam cores and lifters that make them more failure prone than they should be. Add to that the motor oil being made w/less high pressure additives that are needed when using a flat tappet cam, and the chance of improper break in procedures being followed and you have a system that fails more than it should- and more than it did, not that many years ago.

But that said, if the proper parts are used (like the correct valve springs set up w/the correct installed height), and the important areas of the valve train are checked, and the proper procedures for cam break in are followed, there's no reason a strong running engine cannot have a flat tappet cam- even a hydraulic flat tappet cam.