Hot Rod Forum banner

Built 350-Timing Set Question.

4K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  fastnloud 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new here

I have a 82 GMC Sierra with a built 350, I will be adding a hydraulic flat tappet cam and lifter set among other things soon. I was wanting to go ahead and get a double roller timing set for it. Will a timing set for a 350 fit any year of the 350? Because I don't know what year the motor is that is in mine, it's not the stock motor.

I was looking at this
COMP Cams Magnum Double Roller Timing Sets 2100 - SummitRacing.com

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
Built 350-Timing Set Question

Check the front left-hand side of the block. There is a pad behind the alternator with some numbers stamped on it. Also check the flange where the transmission bolts to the block. Drivers and passenger side. There is a casting number on that flange. Check out this website to decode block numbers. If you need help post the numbers here.

#5 ·
Check the front left-hand side of the block. There is a pad behind the alternator with some numbers stamped on it. Also check the flange where the transmission bolts to the block. Drivers and passenger side. There is a casting number on that flange. Check out this website to decode block numbers. If you need help post the numbers here.

#6 ·
Built and hydraulic flat tappet cam is not two words I put in same sentence but your answer to question is no the old two peice rear seal engines and the newer one peice rear seals engine require a different timing chain un less they have a universal type I dont know if they do and dip stick can help you determine engine age a little is it passenger or driver side dipstick older blocks are driver side

#7 ·
...your answer to question is no the old two peice rear seal engines and the newer one peice rear seals engine require a different timing chain un less they have a universal type I dont know if they do...
Nope. The difference is whether the engine is running a factory type hydraulic roller cam/block/thrust plate. It uses a different bolt pattern than the flat tappet cammed engines and the clearance on the back side is different to clear everything. The linked to timing set will work for any flat tappet engine through about '91 when the Vortec began.;)

#10 ·
As long as he's not using the factory block/hydraulic roller cam/thrust plate he's fine, yes. That could be an engine from around '87 until the Vortec started. The factory used hydro rollers and flat tappets at the same time. Trucks/TBI engines got the flat tappet cams.

#18 ·
Now dont get me wrong you can build a nice little motor with hydraulic cams I dont use them personally but go for what you can just with a built engine im was thinking solid lift solid roller but no that not for every body just lifters and cam ran little over 700 for me. I have no problem. Run what you can better than a 4 cylinder Honda any day in my book but like cobalt saying alot of failures some from the cam some from people not doing proper break in

#20 ·
But yea main reason I dont put built and hydraulic together is when people I know say built engine they are talking some crazy lift high horsepower high rpm engine and a hydraulic is not going do that because of vavle float with the lifters and limted lift. you will see solid roller or hydraulic roller in most built race engines I run a 645 lift solid roller with 1.6 rockers to put my lift bout 680 now. but like say they are alot nice engines out there with hydraulic for street see no problem. at track thats another thing but I run mine on both street and track but I would not recommend that for most people alot of people are not going like it and yes its not cheap I have little over 12000 in motor and know a few with more money than that

#21 ·
Can solids make more power? Sure can. But that's not the question.

To exclude an engine from being "built" only because it has hydraulic lifters excludes SBC engines in the 600 HP range. BBC engines can make even more power using hydraulic lifters. Speaking for myself here, a 600-plus HP engine- to me- IS built, period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.