Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Built 350-Timing Set Question. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/built-350-timing-set-question-225881.html)

fastnloud 11-08-2012 10:18 PM

Built 350-Timing Set Question.

Hi, I'm new here

I have a 82 GMC Sierra with a built 350, I will be adding a hydraulic flat tappet cam and lifter set among other things soon. I was wanting to go ahead and get a double roller timing set for it. Will a timing set for a 350 fit any year of the 350? Because I don't know what year the motor is that is in mine, it's not the stock motor.

I was looking at this
COMP Cams Magnum Double Roller Timing Sets 2100 - SummitRacing.com

Thanks guys.

cdminter59 11-08-2012 10:34 PM

Built 350-Timing Set Question

Check the front left-hand side of the block. There is a pad behind the alternator with some numbers stamped on it. Also check the flange where the transmission bolts to the block. Drivers and passenger side. There is a casting number on that flange. Check out this website to decode block numbers. If you need help post the numbers here.

cobalt327 11-08-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastnloud (Post 1608879)
Hi, I'm new here

I have a 82 GMC Sierra with a built 350, I will be adding a hydraulic flat tappet cam and lifter set among other things soon. I was wanting to go ahead and get a double roller timing set for it. Will a timing set for a 350 fit any year of the 350? Because I don't know what year the motor is that is in mine, it's not the stock motor.

I was looking at this
COMP Cams Magnum Double Roller Timing Sets 2100 - SummitRacing.com

Thanks guys.

The main place you can run into problems is if you have a factory hydraulic cammed engine. If it has a flat tappet or retro roller cam, the set you linked to will work.

fastnloud 11-08-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1608885)
The main place you can run into problems is if you have a factory hydraulic cammed engine. If it has a flat tappet or retro roller cam, the set you linked to will work.

Thanks, yeah I'm not sure.

fastnloud 11-08-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdminter59 (Post 1608882)
Check the front left-hand side of the block. There is a pad behind the alternator with some numbers stamped on it. Also check the flange where the transmission bolts to the block. Drivers and passenger side. There is a casting number on that flange. Check out this website to decode block numbers. If you need help post the numbers here.

idontdrivericeieatit 11-08-2012 11:16 PM

Built and hydraulic flat tappet cam is not two words I put in same sentence but your answer to question is no the old two peice rear seal engines and the newer one peice rear seals engine require a different timing chain un less they have a universal type I dont know if they do and dip stick can help you determine engine age a little is it passenger or driver side dipstick older blocks are driver side

cobalt327 11-08-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idontdrivericeieatit (Post 1608906)
...your answer to question is no the old two peice rear seal engines and the newer one peice rear seals engine require a different timing chain un less they have a universal type I dont know if they do...

Nope. The difference is whether the engine is running a factory type hydraulic roller cam/block/thrust plate. It uses a different bolt pattern than the flat tappet cammed engines and the clearance on the back side is different to clear everything. The linked to timing set will work for any flat tappet engine through about '91 when the Vortec began.;)

idontdrivericeieatit 11-08-2012 11:53 PM

If the one he has is old style then he should be fine because its not a vortec engine from way hes talking

idontdrivericeieatit 11-09-2012 12:06 AM

are you saying the 87 to 90 roller blocks you can put old timing chain cause thats when gm went to roller in camros and vettes in The 350 not at 91 with the vortec or is it just the vortec engines that are a problem with the chain?

cobalt327 11-09-2012 12:11 AM

As long as he's not using the factory block/hydraulic roller cam/thrust plate he's fine, yes. That could be an engine from around '87 until the Vortec started. The factory used hydro rollers and flat tappets at the same time. Trucks/TBI engines got the flat tappet cams.

idontdrivericeieatit 11-09-2012 12:17 AM

Yea I dont think he has a roller block but thats good info for me I always heard you couldnt run old style in the roller style blocks starting in 1987 but I guess to thats my fault never thought to ask if I change cam to non roller cam would it be possible

fastnloud 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

Thanks guys. The dipstick is on the passenger side of the block.

fastnloud 11-09-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idontdrivericeieatit (Post 1608906)
Built and hydraulic flat tappet cam is not two words I put in same sentence but your answer to question is no the old two peice rear seal engines and the newer one peice rear seals engine require a different timing chain un less they have a universal type I dont know if they do and dip stick can help you determine engine age a little is it passenger or driver side dipstick older blocks are driver side

Bare with me as I'm not a motor expert of any kind I just love hot rods, but why would you not put built and hydraulic flat tappet in the same sentence?

I do understand roller cams are better and also more expensive, but I think there are plenty of nice street rods with hydraulic flat tappets.

cobalt327 11-09-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastnloud (Post 1609264)
Bare with me as I'm not a motor expert of any kind I just love hot rods, but why would you not put built and hydraulic flat tappet in the same sentence?

I do understand roller cams are better and also more expensive, but I think there are plenty of nice street rods with hydraulic flat tappets.

And there are a whole bunch of guys who will readily agree w/you.

Attention to detail used to be enough. But now a big problem w/flat tappet cams is the influx of poor quality cam cores and lifters that make them more failure prone than they should be. Add to that the motor oil being made w/less high pressure additives that are needed when using a flat tappet cam, and the chance of improper break in procedures being followed and you have a system that fails more than it should- and more than it did, not that many years ago.

But that said, if the proper parts are used (like the correct valve springs set up w/the correct installed height), and the important areas of the valve train are checked, and the proper procedures for cam break in are followed, there's no reason a strong running engine cannot have a flat tappet cam- even a hydraulic flat tappet cam.;)

fastnloud 11-09-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1609291)
And there are a whole bunch of guys who will readily agree w/you.

Attention to detail used to be enough. But now a big problem w/flat tappet cams is the influx of poor quality cam cores and lifters that make them more failure prone than they should be. Add to that the motor oil being made w/less high pressure additives that are needed when using a flat tappet cam, and the chance of improper break in procedures being followed and you have a system that fails more than it should- and more than it did, not that many years ago.

But that said, if the proper parts are used (like the correct valve springs set up w/the correct installed height), and the important areas of the valve train are checked, and the proper procedures for cam break in are followed, there's no reason a strong running engine cannot have a flat tappet cam- even a hydraulic flat tappet cam.;)

Agreed.
Yeah, I will be using Valvoline VR-1 as my motor oil as it has plenty of Zinc/ZDPP, and a break in additive the first time as well.