Bumper mount question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Bumper mount question

Non hotrod related.

Someone backed into my daughters 1996 Saturn SL2 today. The hit the front bumper on the left corner. It is loose now on the end. Moves in and out a couple inches. Does anyone know what would normally hold this in place. Is it just some sort of plastic clips or something easily fixable. I can put it up on the lift until saturday and would just like some idea of what I might actually be looking for.
Body work is not my thing

Thanks
Chet

Advertisement

Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 08:26 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

well every vehicle varies

but most bumper covers are held on by round pushbutton clips

and they are probably missing now

look and see

if there are lots of empty holes under there and no clips or broken ones then well that the problem

you may be able ot go to any local body shop and pick some clips up for free or cheap and possibly make your bumper cover stay up for now.

the fix if the bumper cover is ripped or damaged other than being scuffed is to replace it with another one from the yard or from an autobody parts company online or local

good luck
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
Your Saturn has a metal plate under the edge of the bumper on both sides. The fender has two bolts that hang down under the edge that the bumper slips into. The metal plates on the bumper have slotted holes in them that fit over the bolts as you slip the bumper on. The fender liner has a couple of small sheetmetal screws with a 7mm head on them that go thru the liner into the number where a "J" nut is. I would say, you need to unscrew those littel sheetmetal screws from the liners (there are three on each side). Then open the hood and remove the three push in retainers that hold the top of the bumper to the upper reinforcement. Under the bumper there are three or four down there as well.
After those are removed the bumper pulls forward off those bolts under the fenders.

After removing it, simply push it back on hanging it back up on those bolts under the fenders and put all the screws and retainers back on.

It is pretty fool proof.

Brian
Old 04-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Your Saturn has a metal plate under the edge of the bumper on both sides. The fender has two bolts that hang down under the edge that the bumper slips into. The metal plates on the bumper have slotted holes in them that fit over the bolts as you slip the bumper on. The fender liner has a couple of small sheetmetal screws with a 7mm head on them that go thru the liner into the number where a "J" nut is. I would say, you need to unscrew those littel sheetmetal screws from the liners (there are three on each side). Then open the hood and remove the three push in retainers that hold the top of the bumper to the upper reinforcement. Under the bumper there are three or four down there as well.
After those are removed the bumper pulls forward off those bolts under the fenders.

After removing it, simply push it back on hanging it back up on those bolts under the fenders and put all the screws and retainers back on.

It is pretty fool proof.

Brian
Thanks, I will take a look at it. Just wanted to know what I was in for.

Chet
Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
I have to tell you, I love those damn cars. I worked at a shop for a while that specialized in them, about 90% what we did was Saturns.

They are the closest thing to the VW Bug America has ever had. They are plain common sense, that is all I can say. If you look at them like you know nothing about a car you will be fine. If you look at it like other late model cars you will be frustrated.

They are a little different, but total common sense designed.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.