Bunch of newbie questions re SBC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 04:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bunch of newbie questions re SBC

I'm a newbie to the SBC, I'm running a 350 in my Porsche 914. I have the engine and trans out to do some trans work (Porsche trans no like big torque!), and am doing some cleanup work on the engine and engine bay.

I'm shooting for an American car hotrod type engine look, with as few wires showing as possible, highly detailed/clean/simple.

Questions:

1. I'm getting the headers Jet Hot coated, but need to get cleaner plugs in the EGR fittings first. I'm going to use something like this. What size plugs are these in my headers?

2. I want to run the spark plug wires under the headers, rather than over, and hide them as much as possible. Is there a kit to do that?

3. The blue capped sensor on the left, and the square bronze water plug on the right on the manifold won't be used anymore. What size plugs do I need to cleanly cap these?

And the blacked capped on on the manifold, and the carb:

4. What is the current state of the art for hot rod wiring wrap? Something nice and clean, not the standard corrugated plastic.

5. Who are the good Internet hot rod parts dealers? JEGS and Summit I know about, but they seem to lack on the really "trick" hot rod parts.

6. How do I convert the "AN" size hose and fittings to a number I can understand. In other words, -04AN = roughly what, in inches? Same for -06, -08, etc. Is there somewhere that has the conversions?

7. I am going to be resealing the engine - manifold gasket, pan gasket, front seal, rear main seal, etc. Who makes the best seals? Any tips?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 05:57 PM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

Sorry noone has replied to you sooner I would have if I seen your post. I found this by going back and looking to see if there was anything I could pass on. I've been around this stuff for along time. I sure don't know every thing nor will I claim too. But I think I can answer a few of your questions.1)Those fittings should be fine as long as they are steel?? brass has a tendency to loosen with the heat cycles.2)I don't know If they make a kit for that one, I do know however that GM ran them underneath on a lot of there v-8 cars & trucks. Don't now what years?3) 1/2 and 5/8 I think. Just pull them out and take them to lowes or homedepot that way you will get the right size, they have bins of brass plugs. Even some with allen head fittings.4) Not sure always just used split loom5)&6) I can't give you an answer on these either just, google and see what you find.7)Felpro has always given me good service. They now make silcone reusable valve cover gaskets. They now also make a 1pc oil pan gasket. best thing they ever did.Good luck hope this helps .Brian
Old 02-15-2007, 06:26 PM

ya this actually pretty cool a 350 in a porsche somethin custom...nice...anyways, there are a bunch of things to do to trick out a smallblock.....for example with the manifold, if you want to clean it up, you could use a lot of brake clean, to get the grease and excess stuff off....or edelbrock has the brand new performer manifolds with endura-shine, and carbeureters, etc.. also if you want to coat ur headers and get rid of the plug holes, you could just look in your jegs or summit for a nice pair of headers that wont leave your wallet empty..like a pair of shorties or block huggers...one good company for real custom, show quality parts is Big B Auto 866-392-2442, give them a call and get a catalog....they have real good stuff...anyway good luck hope this helps
Old 02-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

AN stuff is 1/16 per number = AN 8 is 8/16 or 1/2 inch tube. Blue AN fittings can be polished to shiney silver, the blue comes off with mild wire wheel buffing.

The AN flare fittings are 37* not 45* like other stuff, so no interchanging flares.

The pipe size of AN is standard NPT, national pipe thread. Remember AN is aluminum, and screwing it into aluminum you need teflon tape or Felpro Copper anti-seize or it might gall and never come out.

You could use brass pipe plugs in allen head or even black steel. Be sure and teflon tape those too. Personally I would use black and paint them the same as the intake manifold

Running wires under headers might get hot. The local airport mechanic shop has stuff called "fire sleeve" that you can slip over wires to prevent burning. Most aircraft stuff is orange though.

Regular wiring to look hidden can be run inside regular conduit for a smooth look. Paint the conduit for a neat appearance. Aluminum tubing can also be used if you feel inclined to polish it. It comes in fuel line rolls fairly economical and easy to work with. Biggest thing is getting it real straight for appearances. Using aircraft ADEL clamps to secure the tubing is neat. They can be rubber coated steel or nylon. AN or MS aircraft hardware is plated gold color and doesn't rust or tarnish.

Instead of rubber hoses you can run aluminum tubes polished or even steel brake lines (painted) or stainless steel brake lines with a small rubber hose connector on each end. If you feel really ambitious, you can run aluminum AN lines to all the hoses and vacuum stuff.

Proper stainless steel safety wiring of bolts looks good too, like header bolts.

If you are using your existing headers, there should be some local place in a large city near you that coats headers, at least on the outside. Not all can dip to do the insides. If not, I know of one you can ship to.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.