Burban tranny swap? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 01:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Burban tranny swap?

Hi folks. Nice place ya got here. I havent gotten a chance to search and read through the archives here, yet, but I was curious if anyone ever swapped an automatic trans for a manual in a suburban? I drive a 91 burban and My 700r4 let me down, wont shift out of first, no reverse

Of course it broke down out of state, and turned my trip into a Grizzwald family vacation.
I would like to describe what happened, If anyone can point out some possible problems, it will be much appreciated.

First off, when engaging the trans into reverse, before this breakdown, it had about a 2 second pause before engaging fully. Seemed to be maybe a second or 2 longer in the extreme cold of winter. Another thing I noticed in the trans was a slight shudder, seemed like a mild rumblestrip for an instant, untill the throttle was depressed to kickdown inot the next gear. It also seemed to shift a little too soon, when not accelerating hard from a stop.
I run my burb down the beach surf fishing, and sometimes I would notice an increase of engine coolant temp. Probably due to tranny heat dispersed throughout the radiator. Engine coolant never reached over 200. Should I install a tranny cooler, if I decide to rebuild the 700?

Couple of questions for ya all, thanks if ya can answer em, and thanks for the forum.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 12:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rumble strip

I'm reading the archives trying to find a solution to what seems like a rumble strip sound. My daughter and her boyfriend have a '92 GMC 3/4 ton van. Its in extremely nice shape, they have all the service records since it was about 2 years old. They have only had this van for about 3 months now. It was serviced regularly. About a month ago, they left Vancouver BC, pulling a 5 x 8 u-haul trailer through the mountains to Alberta. They called me on the phone halfway thru BC and told me the van was starting to shift slightly harder, and when going from drive to overdrive it sounded momentarily like driving over a rumble strip. I told them to put it in drive only (not overdrive when towing), they drove the rest of the way to my place. We went to my most trusted tranny shop where they test drove it, and changed the fluid and filter. The oil was slightly burnt, but not bad. The van still does this after going several thousand miles and another trip to Vancouver and back. It does it without towing anything. When going slightly uphill, it will make the rumble strip sound, but will stop if they back off the throttle. They had it looked at in Vancouver at a transmission shop also and were told to just drive it. Nobody can tell them conclusivelywhat is wrong. Any ideas? John V.O.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.