Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Burned Eyes
Thread: Burned Eyes
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've never had a problem seeing any weld puddle with a GOOD quaility auto lens,thats the major problem with cheap auto lens,not much clarity at all through the lens in the dark state.
My Speedglas 100v and Jackson NexGen lens is about the clearest i've ever seen,the Nexgen has a low amp TIG setting too,and have used it welding under 10 amps on a TIG rig welding together 1/8" stainless fence wire for a safety gaurd on a motor and the clarity was beautiful.

Bottom line about the eyes and flash burn,as i stated Wayyyyyy back in this thread...safety glasses that are ANSI Z87.1 approved,and both the clear protective lens and the filter lens in the welding hood?,,you will NEVER get a flash,and always wear the safety glasses 100% of the time,even behind the hood and before and after,it only takes a spit second for a peice of hot slag to pop off a weld to hit the eye,it's too late to then say"oops",the damage is already done.
There is still so called safety glasses out there that are cheap,they might be impact resistant to a point..but are not ANSI Z87.1 approved,this means they have a polycarbonate impreganted in it,which means a clear set will block 99.9% of harmful UV and IR rays and the dark lens is 100% ,plus is high impact resistant,...that's another lil thing they get you on the cheap glasses,they will say "impact resistant",,but you want the "HIGH impact resistant",they will fold up,bend,melt etc before they would ever break.

Just dont go cheap when protecting those eyes and ears,you only get one pair of each,and only takes a split second to lose them..and..99% of the time when someone gets hurt is not when you are expecting it,it comes from being complacant with you're work and least expecting it,always have safety up front and foremost 100% of the time