Burned Eyes - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
You�re all a bunch of wimps
Seriously though, I�ve been there, I was caught out in a "joke".
Passing a welding booth an apprentice pulled back the cutain called me and his mate struck an arc.
I saw white surrounded by blue for days and the urge to rub my eyes, unbearable.
You only had a small taste of weld burn on the eyes from only one strike of the arc multiply that by about 1000 and that is what it feels like to use the wrong lenses or even worse none for any period of time it is quite painful and nothing gives much releif. Try arc welding with gas welding goggles for a couple of hours on second thought Please don't take our word for it

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Well.............think of Potato's as this way. Back in the 60's & early 70's. This is where we got Acid from. Yep.......Yellow Sunshine, Purple Micro Dot. the stuff the Hippies took. Why it makes your Eyes feel better. You know now....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2007, 06:00 PM

Last journal entry: 41' finally has paint on it
Last photo:

burned eyes

Gee, I've never heard of anyone getting their eyes infected from using potatoes after burning them. I don't doubt that it could happen, and it would probably have a lot to do with the severity of the burn. Now I'm going to have doubts about eating anything that was grown in the ground including carrotts! Just kidding.
The smartest thing to do is always see a doctor, but sometimes late at night there isn't much choice and that is the reason a lot of people choose to try this. I never thought of it causing anyone any harm. But then I'm not a doctor either.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Potatoes can make a painful problem a serious problem and there simply is no reason to use them, honestly it don't work. Ice will cool the burn and relieve the pain better than potatoes and if you decide not to see a doctor then use the ice as it will bring some relief, obviously you will not get an infection in the burned eyes every time with potatoes but once is all it takes! The usual story is that "I heard about it from an old time welder who has done it for years" but whenever someone told me that, and I have heard it a bunch of times, I always ask "If you do get an infection will you go to that old welder for help or would you go to the doctor who would warn you not to do this?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
You�re all a bunch of wimps

Seriously though, I�ve been there, I was caught out in a "joke".
Passing a welding booth an apprentice pulled back the cutain called me and his mate struck an arc.
I saw white surrounded by blue for days and the urge to rub my eyes, unbearable.
just consider the hot leg a joke the next time you see a spark fall and ignite their pants cuff
Shane
Old 07-31-2007, 01:25 AM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

All great advice guys....Been sleeping all yesterday.....god they still hurt, but at least now I can keep them open....

the way that I did it - I was welding some thin (16 gauge) sheet metal, with a DC arc. I couldn't see anything Thu the helmet. I tryed and ended up 1/2 of my seam, So ******* me took it off and welded it up real quick.

I'v took hydros and sleep with a damp washcloth on my eyes. Around my eyes are still sore and red where they have been burnt. Everything is still blurry, I'm going to try to go to work tomorrow but I may end up going to the optometrist.

Best way I can tell you to help them is let you wife pamper you all day

Last edited by Holder350; 07-31-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:07 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
All great advice guys....Been sleeping all yesterday.....god they still hurt, but at least now I can keep them open....
My problem was just the opposite. I could not shut my eyes. It was pure grit everytime I did. So I kept a cold compress on my eyes while trying to sleep in a chair. I never had anything make my eyes water so bad and still hurt. Then it seems that when something is the matter with your eyes like that, then your sinuses get stopped up Now that I really think back, that may have been the turning point also for getting glasses. It wasn't too long after that, that I had to get glasses to read because everything was blurry. Age combined with that too. Take care of them people!!!!

Kevin
Old 07-31-2007, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

Holder, The good news is that it sounds as if the worst is over unless you get that infection we have been talking about, not likely but possible so keep on the alert for it. You did the right thing and a doctor, while always the best idea, may not always be necessary just take care for another day or so, avoid bright lights, DON'T weld for at least another day and don't give in to the urge to rub those eyes and this will go away rather quickly from this point.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:31 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350
I couldn't see anything Thu the helmet. I tryed and ended up 1/2 of my seam, So ******* me took it off and welded it up real quick.
Go to an ophthalmologist today!! Do not wait any longer! You very well may have caused some permanent eye damage welding that way!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
Go to an ophthalmologist today!! Do not wait any longer! You very well may have caused some permanent eye damage welding that way!
Frisco said it right - NOT an optometrist - they are not medical doctors only an opthamologist is a fully medically trained doctor. It sounds like the worst is past, but a trip to see the doc is still a good idea to see if there is permanent damage if it was so bad that you had to cold compress the eyes and they are still sore

Amazing - how at age 19 and indestructible seem to go hand in hand!! I can't even remember that many years back but can remember my kids at 19

Dave
Old 07-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
I second that you only have one pair of eyes and it is not worth even taking the slightest chance!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:57 AM

Last photo:

Fellows going to an Ophthalmologist is always good advice but at this point I would not think it necessary. In the nearly forty years I have been welding I have seen a heck of a lot of flash burns (had my share too ) and if he is up and around this quick with no worse symptoms than he is describing then his was not a really bad case. Other than some antibiotics, probably not necessary at this point, and some pain meds there is not much for a doc to do now anyway and I think in just a few hours he is going to be feeling much better. HOWEVER!!! if the symptoms get worse or there is any swelling of the surrounding skin the go to a doctor!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 AM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Fellows going to an Ophthalmologist is always good advice but at this point I would not think it necessary. In the nearly forty years I have been welding I have seen a heck of a lot of flash burns (had my share too ) and if he is up and around this quick with no worse symptoms than he is describing then his was not a really bad case. Other than some antibiotics, probably not necessary at this point, and some pain meds there is not much for a doc to do now anyway and I think in just a few hours he is going to be feeling much better. HOWEVER!!! if the symptoms get worse or there is any swelling of the surrounding skin the go to a doctor!
I understand your point and although you are likely correct I would not take that chance with my eyes At the very least he should call! There may appear to be no permanent damage but visualize life black!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A T 25
I understand your point and although you are likely correct I would not take that chance with my eyes At the very least he should call! There may appear to be no permanent damage but visualize life black!

I would find it very hard to argue your point but flash burns happen all the time (far too often) and the danger comes in the first few hours. In the vast majority of cases it is nothing more than a painful experience and barring infection will heal just fine in a day or so. I aways recommend going to a doctor when the pain starts because at that point you have no way of knowing how bad the burn is and in extreme cases where there is severe blistering medical help is definitely needed. Even in the usual case going to the docs is a good idea when the symptoms start because they will give you an antibiotic and something to relieve the pain (the right way!) but after 24 hours or so there is not much for them to do anyway if the symptoms are already getting better. From what he is describing he had a mild case (Holder, think about a bad case now ) and it sounds like he is almost over it, most likely the symptoms would be all but gone by the time he could get in to see an ophthalmologist, BUT!! as I said if the symptoms get worse or don't go away in a few hours (not days!) then go see that doc.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

Yeah Thanks Guys, I'm at work now and I have to work the rest of the week, 10 hr days (one of the guys is on vacation) so I may not have a chance to see the doc.

10 ft tall and bulletproof at 19, I try to fight the urge to do stupid stuff....but I sometimes give in. I did have some swelling yesterday but I think it was from the actual burn around my eyes (rather red). But I'm OK and able to see and read fine. Some things are still a little blurry but its all getting better.

That has got to be the worst pain ever inflicted on my eyes....I'v got sheet rock dust in them before but god this takes the cake. I am soon to get a auto darkening helmet.

From everyone I'v talked to they say it happens at least once to welders in their lives. I'm glad I got mine over early

Again thanks to everyone, I'm glad to know I'm not the only person to do this

And a quick tip....if anywhere in the vicinity of welding make sure you cover em up . This is to painful to do again

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.