Burned Eyes - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1
What about the auto darkening helmets from Harbor Freight?

Would you trust your eyes to the McDonalds of tool stores?

I have a Lincoln Mig and use it very seldom. I have one the the Harbor Freight helmets and it seems to work fine.
the consensus seems to be the HF hoods are fine. MCDONALDS OF TOOL STORES!! HAHAHAHAHAHA thats a good one.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 PM

Last journal entry: Cleaning and Powder coat
Last photo:

Just because she was curious my wife look this up in her Physicians Desk Reference.

Recommendation: Seek immediate treatment by an ophthalmologist.

Potential consequences of flash burns include: Retinal scarring, perforations of the eye and loss of vision (nuf said).

They will treat by dilating and using analgesics.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

It has been a long time since I have posted, but I feel the need to add my $.02.

I fried my eyes the first day working at a factory, doing touch ups on robotic welds. It was completely my fault I was offered an auto darken hood and told them my hood would get me through the shift. Well the work was very fast paced and I did not have time to repostion my hood, so I burnt my eyes.

The next day I called in sick which got me fired (again my fault). I spent the entire day on the couch with a wet rag over my eyes. I did not know that I was supposed to go the ER, for the eye drops. To this day my eyes still bother me. I'm very protective of my eyes and get a new lens when the old one gets a scratch. But I still get itchy/burning eyes if I stay in the sun for a while.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

This happened to me several months ago.However it woke me up at 3:00 AM.I bolted straight up in the bed,grabbed hold of my wife and said "I AM BLIND!!"
Forgot all about welding earlier that day.I described it to her as if ants were crawling around under my eyes when I closed my eyes.I felt my way to the bathroom for some eye wash,that did not help,but it did soothe the irritation enough that I was able to get my self back in check before I woke the kids up.I remembered what I did at work earlier and realized I had flash burn.Went and got in the bed,sat straight up with a pillow against the headboard and eventually went to sleep.Woke up later the next afternoon and was ok.Must have been awful mild,but sure thought I was losing my sight at first.Scary stuff.I bought an auto darkening Miller,the next day at Welders Supply,and won't strike an arc without it.I use to cut steel with the smoke wrench and not wear goggles,I won't even do that anymore and never had any ill effects from that.You do not get a second chance with your eyes.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCastle
I use to cut steel with the smoke wrench and not wear goggles,

I have had people argue that you can not get flash burn from a torch, THIS IS NOT TRUE! It takes a lot longer but you can indeed get burned. This however is only a minor problem compared to what is far more likely to happen and that is hot spatter which will leave a FAR more serious burn that could very well leave you permanently scared or PERMANENTLY blind.

Since you were ok the next afternoon you did have a mild case now imagine how painful a severe case would have been when you woke up.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:33 PM

burned eyes

whatever you do don't put any type of eye drops.
What i do is cut a potatoe in half and cut the edges so that they will fit to your eyelids, then tie them with a piece of cloth from around your head. It will be like a blindfold that will hold the halfs of the potatoe's. That's the only way you will sleep. And don't look at the light from the welding anymore.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:04 PM

Last photo:

You apparently did not read this thread, DO NOT!!! put potatoes on your eyes This old myth, and that is what it is a MYTH, has been around about as long as welding and it can lead to an infection in your eyes that can cause a relatively minor problem to become a major problem. This has been explained over and over including in this thread so there is no point in going over the whole thing again. As far as drops there are several medications that can be used, although none I know of that are OTC, and a person needs to see a doctor for eye drops that will both bring relief from the pain and contain an antibiotic to prevent infection which is the biggest concern (and it may very well happen with a non-sterile "treatment" like a potato).
Old 11-02-2007, 07:47 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

I bought a auto darken helmet from a local weld supply place, the helmet is called Real Gear it has adjustable shades 9-13 i usually use a #10., I've only used it in my welding class at school but I am very happy with it. I realize I am a younger guy but I try not to take any chances after getting a hot spark from a torch in my eye working in a frame shop I went out and bought myself a personal pair of darkend glasses the next day.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:54 PM

welding flash home remedies

When it comes to welding flashes, this works almost every time ----

go to your electric stove, turn on the biggest element, let it come to bright glow, bring your face down to within approx. eight inches from the burner,and for 10 to 15 seconds holding your eyes wide open and let the heat draw out inflmation. Somewhere in the twenties someone discoverd this
method, still works today. By the way, if you get to close burn marks hurt like hell and cause scaring.Lincoln Kid
Old 11-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln kid

go to your electric stove, turn on the biggest element, let it come to bright glow, bring your face down to within approx. eight inches from the burner,and for 10 to 15 seconds holding your eyes wide open and let the heat draw out inflmation. Somewhere in the twenties someone discoverd this
method, still works today. By the way, if you get to close burn marks hurt like hell and cause scaring.Lincoln Kid
That is the dumbest thing I think I have ever heard. Or a piss poor joke.

Heat does not draw out the effects of ultraviolet rays from your eyes.

later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 11-24-2007, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

that stove trick might be true ! Years ago when I was a welder, when ever the senior welder would get a burn, he would lite up the torch, hold it next to the burn, said it takes away the pain ! I always though he was nuts , may it was me, in not believing him !
Old 11-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln kid

that is THEE STUPIDEST thing i EVER heard yet..yea just boil your eyeballs right out of your sockets..at'll take care of the weld flash ...
Old 11-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Don't waste your time with potatoes,THAT DON'T WORK!!!! That is a joke!! A good cold rag will do much better then potatoes any day!!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

Hold flash burned eyes over a hot stove? I hate to call someone stupid but that is STUPID! AND holding a torch close to a burn to relieve pain is just as STUPID! This must be a troll post, surely nobody could be that dumb, could they?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Every time I ever had a burn and it got close to something hot,It hurt more!! I'm with OLDRED ON THIS ONE,It does spell STUPID!!!!!!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.