Burned Eyes - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mrwood, testimonials from people in your situation are just heartbreaking but they say more about safety than all the "rules" put together. After being in the welding trade for so close to forty years it scares me I have have seen all too much of what you describe and to a much lesser extent even suffer some effects myself from ignoring the rules. Fellows please listen to what this man is saying it might just save you a lot of pain and anguish and DON'T listen to those "old welders tales" about how to prevent or take care of a welding injury.

DRINK MILK to prevent or cure metal fumes fever from Zinc poisoning! That has got to be the about the stupidest thing I have heard about welding safety! (well almost anyway, after reading about holding burned eyes over a hot stove I am not so sure it is ) But I guess the stove trick can just lead to blindness while the milk trick can KILL you!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
"I saw something about milk some where on here, I don't think milk is for your eyes, I've heard to drink a bunch of milk if you accidently breath in galv smoke"

That one is another very popular old welding MYTH but this one can KILL you! Milk MIGHT offer some relief from an upset stomach but if you are sick from Zinc poisoning that upset stomach is the least of your worries! If after welding on galvanized metal you start getting sick (the upset stomach is just the first symptom) then get to a doctor fast, VERY fast! If you experience a tightness in your chest you very well may have a fatal dose (You can die from this as much as a week after exposure) and it does not take a lot to do this and I guarantee milk is not going to save you!

This is one of the stupidest myths about welding safety.

What you are saying here is true HOWEVER it is possible to get a flash burn from a welding torch, contrary to popular belief. It is much harder to do but given enough time it will happen, faster when brazing than just cutting or welding. Like you said particles in the eyes are the worst hazard here but the solution is the same for both problems- WEAR EYE PROTECTION AT ALL TIMES!!!
well explained. I'm glad you clarified the milk thing, that is just a myth, if you ever weld on galv or other metals with toxins be very cautious, in fact don't do it unless you know what your doing, I talked to a guy who was on dialysis for six months from inhaling toxins produced from welding, he is actually a pretty smart dude but welded without a resporator and payed dearly for it, in fact hes lucky he did not die. however I was not aware of the uv protection on auto hoods, thats good to know all though I'd still advise keeping the lens cleaned for the sensors. the potatoes thing just seems silly to me, that eye lubricant works good, but see a doc. your right about people not using #5 while gas welding or cutting. I recently bought a new hood, I want to know what you guys think? while at the welding store they told me its a nono to use a standard auto hood with no adjustment for tig welding, so I bought that miller one thats blue with the flag on it, it is a nice hood and I don't regret buying it, but did I get juked ? why can't you use a hood with no sensitivity adjust for tig?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

sorry to hear your story mrwood, and thankyou for sharing it, I will be even more cautious after hearing your story, its a good thing that you shared that so other won't suffer what you have gone through
Old 12-14-2007, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

You can TIG weld with the non-adjustable helmet if the shade happens to be ok for what you are doing. Same thing with using large MIG wire, 3/2" or larger, (yep it comes bigger! ) since most non-adjustable types are #10 and a #14 is recommended for that kind of welding and #14 lens sometimes are hard to find, at least here, I used a 10 or 11 with dark glasses under the helmet for the larger wire but sometimes I even doubled my lens using a #10 and a #4 together when I did not want the dark safety glasses.

EDIT, I just realized I misunderstood what you asked about TIG welding and those hoods. The sensitivity does need to be adjustable to work right with a TIG otherwise it could flash on and off, I at first thought you were talking about the shade adjustment, Sorry about that!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:06 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

3/2" mig wire????? thats large round stock
Shane
Old 12-14-2007, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
3/2" mig wire????? thats large round stock
Shane

We used 1/8" gas-less flux core by the truck load!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
We used 1/8" gas-less flux core by the truck load!
Yeah but thats a 14th of an inch and a half.
Shane
Old 02-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Crash Nullage

Last photo:

re:

Just take a few days off in a dark room.Only time will heal them mate....
Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

burned eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by freecontact
Just take a few days off in a dark room.Only time will heal them mate....

I have read that every time you get flashed you do eye damage. and it is cumulative. when you get older your night vision suffers, and eventually your vision is like looking through a dirty windshield. approved safety glasses help with getting accidentally flashed. Lincoln Electric will not sponsor those TV fab shows, because of lack of weld safety.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Wiki'd this.

Here's the new "Eye Protection" section of our Health and Safety wiki article: http://crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/...Eye_protection .

Feel free to edit the article, correct it, adjust it, add to it, etc. Just click the "edit" tab at the top of the page.

It could use a pic. If anyone has a burned-eye or slag-in-eye photo, please upload it to the wiki.

WebMD had some info on the "when to see a doctor" and "is it OK to use eyedrops" controversies. Looks like lubricant eyedrops are OK, but not anasthetic eyedrops. That would explain the conflicting information on OTC eyedrop use.

Also, for arc flash, they're saying that if you have any of the following, it's time to see a doctor: "worsening" pain, blurred vision, or change in vision.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike's hotrods
sorry to hear your story mrwood, and thankyou for sharing it, I will be even more cautious after hearing your story, its a good thing that you shared that so other won't suffer what you have gone through
yeah. big thanks from Makulay.

Last edited by schnitz; 06-24-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

wow, I have never heard of so many myths in one spot before. I have heard most of them, dont listen to them. Every time I got flash burn, I just put ice packs on my eyes and took it easy for 2-3 days. Never had any eye trouble after that.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

well, i guess i have to add my 2 cents in also! i tried to read the whole 6 pages , but my eyes were tearing up, LOL! auto darkening helmits are best way to not get flashed, and remember you can get flashburn from the weld puddle. so, when your done welding and weld puddle is still glowing bright, don't look at it! i know it isn't as much a threat as looking at the arc, but if you do it 50 times in 2 hrs your cooked!
Old 12-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

I never thought that this thread would go so far when I posted it years ago....

It seems a lesson that you would only have to learn once, but sadly.....I have lightly burned them sense then, but the was because of alot of welding in one day.

I have to say that I seem to have trouble in bright sunlight and in snow, but its mild and nothing that a pair of shades wont fix.

I know Im not seen much around here anymore (probably some people happy about that) because I spend most of my free time over on the JeepForum.com

Just wanted to say this is a great thread, everyone giving advice on the subject. This has got to be one of the largest knowledge base on the web.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 AM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

I welded for 15 years and still have a buzz box in the garage. One time I didn't go to the doctor and it took twice as long to get over them.
I got burned so bad one time that I had to wear patches on my eyes for two days. I was welding inside of a SS tank for 12 hours, the reflection got me. After that experience I stuck a cloth over the back of my head. It was completely dark inside my helmet when I welded. After that its straight to the doctor for pain drops and antibiotics anytime I damaged my eyes.

Being blinded for two days was no fun. Protect your eyes us normal people only get two. Superman may get more but I haven't met him.

That was 20 years ago and I pay for it every day, no night vision, head lights blind me. When it rains I may as well stay home after dark.
When I weld now I wear tented glasses as well as a self darkening hood. Never try to weld with just your eyes closed. Even tacking will burn your eyes right through your eye lids.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.