Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Burned Eyes
Thread: Burned Eyes
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Worn Out and Broken

Wiki Edits: 0

Well, this is sort of a "beat the dead horse" posting, but I just felt compelled to add my own experiences to this discussion.

I got my first welding injury when I was fifteen: a clown in metal shop turned around in the welding booth with the stinger in his hand, pushed the curtain back with it, and struck an arc on the booth frame about a foot in front of my eyes as I was walking past. OW!! The Doc dug the slag out of me, and I was blind for about a week. Many more have come and gone in the ensuing years, as well as other stuff that causes eye pains. Nowadays, if I see a new Ophthalmologist (the eye Doc is an annual ritual, now), most of them are somewhat dismayed at the amount of scarring in my eyes; and I have had to wear glasses for the last forty years, as a result of earlier incidents.

What I am trying to get across is: you younger guys, take better care than you might now do; you are NOT made of cast iron. Don't be afraid to take on something, but take care to do it in the safest manner possible. The older folks like me, be thankful if you have a modicum of decent vision; you've most likely learned the hard lessons, and earned the scars.

Same thing goes for your hearing. You can't get any of it back, vision, or hearing, if it goes away.