Hot Rod Forum banner

Burned Eyes

55K views 154 replies 60 participants last post by  oldred 
#1 ·
Is there anything to do for burned eyes from welding? I'm in so much pain right now!!!

#77 ·
"I saw something about milk some where on here, I don't think milk is for your eyes, I've heard to drink a bunch of milk if you accidently breath in galv smoke"

That one is another very popular old welding MYTH but this one can KILL you! Milk MIGHT offer some relief from an upset stomach but if you are sick from Zinc poisoning that upset stomach is the least of your worries! If after welding on galvanized metal you start getting sick (the upset stomach is just the first symptom) then get to a doctor fast, VERY fast! If you experience a tightness in your chest you very well may have a fatal dose (You can die from this as much as a week after exposure) and it does not take a lot to do this and I guarantee milk is not going to save you!

This is one of the stupidest myths about welding safety. :nono:

What you are saying here is true HOWEVER it is possible to get a flash burn from a welding torch, contrary to popular belief. It is much harder to do but given enough time it will happen, faster when brazing than just cutting or welding. Like you said particles in the eyes are the worst hazard here but the solution is the same for both problems- WEAR EYE PROTECTION AT ALL TIMES!!!
well explained. I'm glad you clarified the milk thing, that is just a myth, if you ever weld on galv or other metals with toxins be very cautious, in fact don't do it unless you know what your doing, I talked to a guy who was on dialysis for six months from inhaling toxins produced from welding, he is actually a pretty smart dude but welded without a resporator and payed dearly for it, in fact hes lucky he did not die. however I was not aware of the uv protection on auto hoods, thats good to know all though I'd still advise keeping the lens cleaned for the sensors. the potatoes thing just seems silly to me, that eye lubricant works good, but see a doc. your right about people not using #5 while gas welding or cutting. I recently bought a new hood, I want to know what you guys think? while at the welding store they told me its a nono to use a standard auto hood with no adjustment for tig welding, so I bought that miller one thats blue with the flag on it, it is a nice hood and I don't regret buying it, but did I get juked ? why can't you use a hood with no sensitivity adjust for tig?

#79 ·
You can TIG weld with the non-adjustable helmet if the shade happens to be ok for what you are doing. Same thing with using large MIG wire, 3/2" or larger, (yep it comes bigger! :) ) since most non-adjustable types are #10 and a #14 is recommended for that kind of welding and #14 lens sometimes are hard to find, at least here, I used a 10 or 11 with dark glasses under the helmet for the larger wire but sometimes I even doubled my lens using a #10 and a #4 together when I did not want the dark safety glasses.

EDIT, I just realized I misunderstood what you asked about TIG welding and those hoods. The sensitivity does need to be adjustable to work right with a TIG otherwise it could flash on and off, I at first thought you were talking about the shade adjustment, Sorry about that! :embarrass

#84 ·
burned eyes

freecontact said:
Just take a few days off in a dark room.Only time will heal them mate....

I have read that every time you get flashed you do eye damage. and it is cumulative. when you get older your night vision suffers, and eventually your vision is like looking through a dirty windshield. approved safety glasses help with getting accidentally flashed. Lincoln Electric will not sponsor those TV fab shows, because of lack of weld safety.

#85 ·
Wiki'd this.

Here's the new "Eye Protection" section of our Health and Safety wiki article: http://crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Health_and_Safety_in_the_Shop_or_Garage#Eye_protection .

Feel free to edit the article, correct it, adjust it, add to it, etc. Just click the "edit" tab at the top of the page.

It could use a pic. If anyone has a burned-eye or slag-in-eye photo, please upload it to the wiki.

WebMD had some info on the "when to see a doctor" and "is it OK to use eyedrops" controversies. Looks like lubricant eyedrops are OK, but not anasthetic eyedrops. That would explain the conflicting information on OTC eyedrop use.

Also, for arc flash, they're saying that if you have any of the following, it's time to see a doctor: "worsening" pain, blurred vision, or change in vision.

#88 ·
well, i guess i have to add my 2 cents in also! i tried to read the whole 6 pages , but my eyes were tearing up, LOL! auto darkening helmits are best way to not get flashed, and remember you can get flashburn from the weld puddle. so, when your done welding and weld puddle is still glowing bright, don't look at it! i know it isn't as much a threat as looking at the arc, but if you do it 50 times in 2 hrs your cooked!

#89 ·
I never thought that this thread would go so far when I posted it years ago....

It seems a lesson that you would only have to learn once, but sadly.....I have lightly burned them sense then, but the was because of alot of welding in one day.

I have to say that I seem to have trouble in bright sunlight and in snow, but its mild and nothing that a pair of shades wont fix.

I know Im not seen much around here anymore (probably some people happy about that) because I spend most of my free time over on the JeepForum.com

Just wanted to say this is a great thread, everyone giving advice on the subject. This has got to be one of the largest knowledge base on the web.

#90 ·
I welded for 15 years and still have a buzz box in the garage. One time I didn't go to the doctor and it took twice as long to get over them.
I got burned so bad one time that I had to wear patches on my eyes for two days. I was welding inside of a SS tank for 12 hours, the reflection got me. After that experience I stuck a cloth over the back of my head. It was completely dark inside my helmet when I welded. After that its straight to the doctor for pain drops and antibiotics anytime I damaged my eyes.

Being blinded for two days was no fun. Protect your eyes us normal people only get two. Superman may get more but I haven't met him. ;)

That was 20 years ago and I pay for it every day, no night vision, head lights blind me. When it rains I may as well stay home after dark.
When I weld now I wear tented glasses as well as a self darkening hood. Never try to weld with just your eyes closed. Even tacking will burn your eyes right through your eye lids.

#91 ·
Jake_Dragon said:
Being blinded for two days was no fun. Protect your eyes us normal people only get two. Superman may get more but I haven't met him. ;)

That was 20 years ago and I pay for it every day, no night vision, head lights blind me. When it rains I may as well stay home after dark.
When I weld now I wear tented glasses as well as a self darkening hood. Never try to weld with just your eyes closed. Even tacking will burn your eyes right through your eye lids.
Same thing with me did'nt like the fact of being blind for a few days either. Doc put some stuff in my eyes the patched both eyes for like 3 days drove me nuts, Now i have the same as you no night vision the head lights. So people please protect your eyes when welding.

Cole

#93 ·
I remmeber my first time, oh the joy...
I dint have the internet to find a cure, let alone what the heck was wrong with me. I spent the night thinking I had vast amounts of grinded metal in my eyes. I was lucky, only lasted the night, and just about gone in the morning.

And yea, there was allot of laughing at my exspense the nest day from a buddy.

#96 ·
i just read the first few posts to sorry if i am repeating anyone. you can buy industrial strength eye drops from most welding supplies that are made for welders flash and foreign objects in the eye. I have had welders flash before (I haven't ever had it so bad I had to take 3 days off from work but I have had my fair share of it. Don't use visine it just makes the burning worse. Next time anyone goes to the welding supply pick up a bottle of these and put them in the medicine cabinet. I always have a fresh bottle of these. If you have welded and your eyes feel sleepy in the next few hours, put the drops in. Visine is NOT for welders flash, any doctor will tell you that

#97 ·
crussell85 said:
i just read the first few posts to sorry if i am repeating anyone. you can buy industrial strength eye drops from most welding supplies that are made for welders flash and foreign objects in the eye. I have had welders flash before (I haven't ever had it so bad I had to take 3 days off from work but I have had my fair share of it. Don't use visine it just makes the burning worse. Next time anyone goes to the welding supply pick up a bottle of these and put them in the medicine cabinet. I always have a fresh bottle of these. If you have welded and your eyes feel sleepy in the next few hours, put the drops in. Visine is NOT for welders flash, any doctor will tell you that

The only place I have ever seen that you can get the right drops, was from a Doctor.. And now they won't prescribe it to you any more.. I have never seen a welding supply store that sell's the drops.. :confused:

#98 ·
NEW INTERIORS said:
The only place I have ever seen that you can get the right drops, was from a Doctor.. And now they won't prescribe it to you any more.. I have never seen a welding supply store that sell's the drops.. :confused:

The only thing I know that does any good is pontocaine hydrochloride and it is prescription only, years ago it was easy to get but not anymore! I have been in many welding supplies and I have never seen drops of any kind for the eyes, not saying some don't have something but for sure it is not very common and CERTAINLY they won't have pontocain. In any case infection is the major danger and a severe flash burn should never be treated at home, while the vast majority of these burns are nothing more than a painful annoyance some are severe and can lead to serious problems. BE SAFE! Don't take a chance, if you get a flash burn let your doctor decide if it is serious or not and even if it is not antibiotics are going to be in order anyway to be safe and these definitely are going to be prescription only. Forget the home readies and see your doctor while you can still see!

#99 ·
http://www.airgas.com/browse/product.aspx?Msg=RecID&recIds=400340&WT.svl=400340 this is what we use at work for welder flash. These may not be a cure for welders flash but man they sure do help when you feel it coming on. If I feel it coming on (tired eyes) I place a few drops of these in each eye and they really do help. They are inexpensive insurance. They may not work if you have it really bad but I know they have saved me a few times.

#100 ·
Kind of expensive aren't they?
It would be cheaper to go to the doctor.

Ha, that's got to be a mistake. $1.523 for a case of 24 would be $63 a bottle. I can't believe a non-prescription eye drop could cost this much.
Just go to the doctor.

If you're burning your eyes often enough to buy a bottle of this stuff, you are doing something way wrong.

I burned my eyes once about 35 years ago and haven't done it since. Only one time did I think I was going to have a problem. My autodarkening hood was slowly crapping out and it took me a while to notice. But, I was lucky and I felt no effects. That thing went in the trash immediately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.