Hot Rod Forum banner

Burned eyes Part II

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  biggeazy-e 
#1 ·
I ran across this pic of Magnus_Jager. Sorry Magnus, but had to post it here. Good example as to why to wear safety glasses when working around chemicals. CHECK IT PEOPLE

Maybe we need a Safety Forum :D Anyways....this is a good lesson for all.

Kevin

#6 · (Edited)
burns

Since the sadists are out what about a drop of gasoline in your inner ear? I've had a battery explode while load testing it, not to bad since I wore glasses was close to the water hose. Reducer, carb cleaner or thinner in the eyes; yep no fun. Did not want to wear my new glasses welding, I just turned up the darkness adjustment on my helmet. After wearing UV absorbing lenses for so long it did not help. I slept with an ice pack over my eyes all night. Worst thing in the world was getting a drop of gasoline in my ear, I had folded back a fuel line and stuffed it in the frame opening, installing the tank with a helper I hit the hose and it snapped straight and sprayed a few drops of fuel. First it stung but when I stood up it went to my inner ear. I dropped to the floor and screamed out a single SOB. For a day it felt like some one hit my ear with a sledge hammer. For days it felt like a bad weld splatter burn. Be careful out there don't let being in a hurry override common sense. Perri

#7 ·
Magnus_Jager -- that pic would make a good addition to this wiki article: Health and safety in the shop or garage, although, I can understand if you don't exactly want it permanently archived in an article.

Also, if anyone else has photographed any of their shop or garage injuries, please upload them to the wiki so we can add them to the safety article.

#8 ·
Working around the mines for so many years I have seen some really strange accidents and been on the receiving end of a few myself, one that happened to someone else comes to mind because of an incident just yesterday had me thinking of it. One of the guys who worked in my shop was using a propane torch outside in bright sunlight to thaw some air lines and thought it was not lit so to check to see if it was empty he put it to his nose to see if he could smell the gas coming out. Well it WAS lit! :pain: It is just that in the bright light he could not see the flame and in addition to burning his nose, upper lip, one eye lid and some burns to the eye itself he inhaled some of the hot gas and that was the more serious of his problems. These burns were far more serious than it at first seemed and he was away from work for quite a while and required some extensive medical care in order to recover. I have had hot slag in my ear more than once and it is not fun at all and because of another accident in my shop with hot slag that put one fellow in the hospital I laid down the law about ear plugs and they became mandatory safety gear while welding just like safety glasses. This could go on and on but the bottom line is almost all of these could have been prevented with a bit of fore-sight and once an accident happens it is all too easy to see what SHOULD have been done to prevent it but by then it is of course too late.

Perrib,
Don't let being in a hurry override common sense

Probably the cause of more accidents than any other reason!

#9 ·
Ouch, thanks for the reminder though... Not too long ago, torch cutting in the backyard, my (sun)glasses slid down pretty far off my nose, I figured it wouldn't be a problem since I was almost finished cutting anyways- I was wrong.. Heard a POP and blinked, had a nice piece of hot steel in my eye, finished cutting(of course) flushed my eye for 1/2 hour or so, and drove to the ER.. Spent an hour in the waiting room and finally got taken care of (which was nothing short of DisneyLand)...

The perfect ending to my story was a Tetanus shot (that I didn't need), and feeling sick to my stomach the next day and a half......

Hopefully this topic (and others like it) will keep me from making the same decisions, and hopefully help me keep my vision.... and limbs....

#12 ·
Magnus_Jager said:
I got a tetanus shot, also, but i have not had one in at least 15 years... So I was due. Just got a little sore on the arm where I got it.
I couldn't remember when I had my last one, so I got to get another.. While feeling like crap, I looked up Tetanus shot side effects on Google... Seems like I had every possible side effect....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.